Milwaukee One -Key Tracking

comp56

ok so there is new software for one-key users to enable tool tracking.....begs the question, if they can have this technology when will they send software updates that will cripple an outdated tool? Is this direction we are going, I realize it would be a bad move for any tool company to do this but it hasn't stopped computer companies to advance and leave your equipment behind leaving you the only option to upgrade or buy new.......

mil.PNG

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... If I had one key tracking on my Milwaukee tools I would never have had to start over with DeWalt so I think it would be worth it. While that is an option, I highly doubt they will make outdated tools unusable, rather they will just drop support and not update older versions. They will sorta do the iPhone thing and each generation will feature some hardware or software update that's not backwards compatible. Yeah the one key 2nd gen can set this setting and has the hardware for another setting, but only gen 3 will get the software update that utilizes the hardware for the extra setting.

Luckily, you don't need a top of the line drill to build a tin foil hat, so you are still free to buy a drill that doesn't have one-key.

Too much money has been spent in marketing and R&D for Milwaukee to piss it all away by bricking people's tools.

1 hour ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

You know, instead of creating software that allows our phones to connect to a tool to change settings, I rather have better settings available for our phones. How many times have we missed a call because the vibration on our phones was too weak to notice? I say give me a setting adjustment so I can adjust it. That would be something more useful. Of course you wouldn't want to turn up the vibration too high otherwise you might blow your co*k off!

My old Motorola v60i from I think 2004 would let you adjust the vibration. The Motorola I had after had it too, plus it had a feature that allowed you to set a text to send at whenever you wanted, like setting an alarm...no phone since has had it that I know of.

The iPhone allows you to adjust vibration too but only for pulses, which can definitely help. The issue is they keep making thinner phones so the little vibration motor gets smaller. Wish they'd stop making them thinner, now they're at the point where you have to either have girl hands or need a case to be able to comfortably hold your phone. I'd rather have a bit thicker of a phone, with better vibrate and a larger battery.

3 hours ago, DR99 said:

You will always be able to use you drill but long term you might not get added features though.

This sounds like it would be the most logical explanation. I think people that are truly interested and really benefiting from the OneKey features will be ones that are probably ready to upgrade when the new model comes out anyway. As a DIY homeowner and weekend warrior, my non-OneKey Gen2's will keep me happy for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Julian said:

This sounds like it would be the most logical explanation. I think people that are truly interested and really benefiting from the OneKey features will be ones that are probably ready to upgrade when the new model comes out anyway. As a DIY homeowner and weekend warrior, my non-OneKey Gen2's will keep me happy for years.

+1

Something to consider for everyone, not just those that NEED OneKey's job-site management features is the ability to use the app to track your tools.  Personally, I don't lend out my tools to anyone, but I also know that I've done a crap job keeping track of which tools I've got, serial numbers, purchase dates, photos, etc.  If someone stole my stuff or, god forbid, there was a fire, I'd have a very tough time telling the insurance company exactly what they had to replace.  So, I plan on using the OneKey app to record all of my gear for my own information and for insurance purposes, should I ever need it.