Reclaimed Wood with Meaning.....

comp56

little back story, My father passed away just about 2 yrs ago now (82yrs) and he had a love for woodworking, taught me all I know. He owned a construction company while I grew up and every chance he had he was in his woodworking shop tinkering on some kind of project. Back in the late 60's about 50 some years ago he built some shelving with good old 2"x 8" lumber, this shelving unit he built was always inside so it was just bare wood all the time it was in use. He built it with the good old fashioned hammer and nails. My brother and I was dismantling the shelving unit to make room and I started looking at it and thought, there were hammer marks that he made while putting it together here and there ...what better way to preserve this little part of him and to be in my shop......... so I decided to make a bench top with the same wood he used at one time hammer marks and all. Here it is ready for a sealer and with sealer. now his hammer marks can live on.........

111.jpg

112.jpg

• Like 14

7 hours ago, comp56 said:

little back story, My father passed away just about 2 yrs ago now (82yrs) and he had a love for woodworking, taught me all I know. He owned a construction company while I grew up and every chance he had he was in his woodworking shop tinkering on some kind of project. Back in the late 60's about 50 some years ago he built some shelving with good old 2"x 8" lumber, this shelving unit he built was always inside so it was just bare wood all the time it was in use. He built it with the good old fashioned hammer and nails. My brother and I was dismantling the shelving unit to make room and I started looking at it and thought, there were hammer marks that he made while putting it together here and there ...what better way to preserve this little part of him and to be in my shop......... so I decided to make a bench top with the same wood he used at one time hammer marks and all. Here it is ready for a sealer and with sealer. now his hammer marks can live on.........

111.jpg

112.jpg

awsome job comp, looks like your dad did a great job with you, as they say, ' the apple doesnt fall too far from the tree' 

• 3 weeks later...

That's true sounds like some royalties should head comps way.

• Like 1

Thats an awesome idea Comp,It's great that your dad was able to pass on to you so many different things,much like mine has.

It's something ive been trying to do with my little ones as much as possible. My kids love building things together and using tools. The Milwaukee wall is awesome!! Well done once again sir.