new dewalt cordless premium drills (20v max), DCD991 & DCD996, 3 gear

midogrumpy

Never tried running those in my 887...

Well here's the secret in the other thread after watching dans periscope I ordered the 791 to replace my 790 I couldn't keep it in any more!!

@77ford thanks dude that's an awesome impact it'll do you good

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Turner85 said:

What's everyone drilling or driving that they actually need so much torque. I'm a general carpenter/builder and I haven't come across anything my dcd790 couldn't handle 

Nothing we need really.  Older tools will handle any typical tasks thrown at them, but the more powerful ones take care of things you wouldn't previously do with a cordless drill.  With some of these you can completely do away with a secondary, heavy corded drill and use a cordless for heaver tasks.

8 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Try to drill a 5/8 lag screw through a 4 by 4 with the DCD790, I'd love to see you try, but you will fail. Thats why the newest cordless technology is so attractive, because new drills are capable of doing that.

I'm just curious as to what people need the power for. Not stating nobody needs more power than the 790, just that I haven't.  

Why? ...because it really sucks when you're trying to do whatever job and you suddenly hit your tool's limitations. You'll probably not push any of your tools to it's peak performance every day(some will) or even every month but sometime(s) you might...before when we did it we grabbed our corded tools. That's kind of a pain in the ass.

It's also a lot of knowing what you need and what you don't need. I know plenty of people that don't own an impact driver at all, not everyone is going to need something more powerful. I know I've hit the limitations of my impact driver more than once.

• Like 4

I'm new to this forum.  I have been reading it for a while.  After this post, I decided to join.  Mr. Yellow's van is what got me hooked on this forum.

I ordered a new DCD995 the other day.  My 985 burnt up.  It had lived a hard life and probably been pushed too far, one too many times.  We already have a 995 so I know what to expect.

• Like 5

I'm new to this forum.  I have been reading it for a while.  After this post, I decided to join.  Mr. Yellow's van is what got me hooked on this forum.

I ordered a new DCD995 the other day.  My 985 burnt up.  It had lived a hard life and probably been pushed too far, one too many times.  We already have a 995 so I know what to expect.

Yeah a lot of us like mr yellows van it's nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sounds like a sweet drill. Everybody likes to jump on numbers, but for me my 995 has never had a problem in any of my applications so I couldn't care less how numbers compare. I won't be upgrading untill it fails either, that being said, if any form of impact tool comes out with significantly higher numbers my wallet will be empty immediately.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2016 at 2:22 PM, Renner_construction said:

Apprentice carpenter had that same drill today and it struggled to drive a 7/8 self feed bit in low...

that doesn't sound right. the 985, and 995 would make mince meat of a 7/8" in framing timber. Maybe in a super tough hardwood...

Hell, I've tried a 32mm self-feed in the (compact) dcd790 and it made it ... just.

• Like 1

I know the 995 can mix mortar in a 5 gallon bucket.  That requires alot more torque than a self feed bit.  Especially when you don't add enough water.

I would say the drill itself has an issue. 

We weren't mixing the mortar.  The plumber was mixing mortar to go under a tub.  He was using a spade in a 5 gallon bucket.  I offered our paddle mixer, to speed things up.  His Milwaukee drill couldn't turn it.  I removed his drill and used our 995.  It had no problem.  I don't think it is all Milwaukee drills, just his.  I know my 985 did great for years, then got weaker.  The other day, when it burnt up, we were mixing Easy sand.

Hello everyone. Just a comment on the Milwaukee vs Dewalt thing.  I am on team yellow not because I chose to be but it chose me. In 2011 I had to replace a stolen Ridgid gen 4 kit quickly. I was at Lowes and a Dewalt dcd985 kit looked liked the best thing on the shelf at the time so I got it. That was in 2011 and the 985 is still going strong everyday along with the impact, and I do HVAC so I use them hard from big hole saws to drilling 1/4 steel, crawling through crawl spaces to working 40' in the air on lifts. Now to my point. I am a spec of yellow in a sea of Milwaukee red here in my area, everybody is using Milwaukee, every supply store and hardware store is carrying Milwaukee. But everybody that has Milwaukee has had problems. One guy had a m18 fuel two days and was drilling a 1/2 hole in concrete and the motor fryed in it, another one has a fuel and the clutch settings do not work anymore, another one has to take the battery out of his m18 impact because the light will not go off. There is one Bosch guy who's drill literally fell apart in his hands. Now I'm just saying is Dewalt the best, no. Is Milwaukee the best, no. They both are good enough for what needs to be done. I think the real quality is in hilti from what I see. We have a hilti guy that comes around on our jobs all the time, nice as can be. And if somebody as a issue with on if there tools he takes care of it pronto. Hell they even come to our shop sometimes to check on a core drill we bought from them. Sorry for the long post just my dimes worth

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kentcatlett said:

Hello everyone. Just a comment on the Milwaukee vs Dewalt thing.  I am on team yellow not because I chose to be but it chose me. In 2011 I had to replace a stolen Ridgid gen 4 kit quickly. I was at Lowes and a Dewalt dcd985 kit looked liked the best thing on the shelf at the time so I got it. That was in 2011 and the 985 is still going strong everyday along with the impact, and I do HVAC so I use them hard from big hole saws to drilling 1/4 steel, crawling through crawl spaces to working 40' in the air on lifts. Now to my point. I am a spec of yellow in a sea of Milwaukee red here in my area, everybody is using Milwaukee, every supply store and hardware store is carrying Milwaukee. But everybody that has Milwaukee has had problems. One guy had a m18 fuel two days and was drilling a 1/2 hole in concrete and the motor fryed in it, another one has a fuel and the clutch settings do not work anymore, another one has to take the battery out of his m18 impact because the light will not go off. There is one Bosch guy who's drill literally fell apart in his hands. Now I'm just saying is Dewalt the best, no. Is Milwaukee the best, no. They both are good enough for what needs to be done. I think the real quality is in hilti from what I see. We have a hilti guy that comes around on our jobs all the time, nice as can be. And if somebody as a issue with on if there tools he takes care of it pronto. Hell they even come to our shop sometimes to check on a core drill we bought from them. Sorry for the long post just my dimes worth

Some companies have started using their warranty instead of quality control.

Thanks for the input, and welcome!

Hilti is a foreign brand in my line of work, I wouldn't know where to go for service or related necessities, and nobody around here knows either. Milwaukee was a brand I found out had trade specific power tools I came to really rely on such as copper tubing cutter, pvc shears, pex expander tool, etc. I always heard Hilti as a top notch construction tool brand too. I wonder if because there was such a large number of a certain brand there will be an occasional breakdown, it's just a numbers game then

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

welcome to the forum, Hilti is a great rugged brand, but you want have the tool lineup like milwaukee or dewalt.  The problem is outsourced mass production... and what can we do about it? Fortunately Milwaukee stacks a five year warranty which is great, Dewalt is 3, i believe Hilti is now 20 years, used to be lifetime.