Too compressor or not

jswoger1986

Also depends on how often you plan to use them. The nice thing about air tools is the price for the tools and no batteries to worry about. The bad side is needing a big enough compressor to run them, the noise and the need for a hose. Plus if your compressors dies your tools are worthless. At least if your cordless tool batteries die they are way cheaper to replace. I have both, I use my air impact wrench, ratchet and Nailers mostly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The only point where I see cordless tools lagging is nailers and that gap is closing rapidly.

Part of the problem with your decision might be that you're looking at cheap air tools against high end cordless tools.  A good air tools are not enough less than cordless to justify the cost of a compressor if you're starting out.

What are you planning on using the nailers for? Are you a professional or a diyer?. I'm a woodworker and do diy and love my cordless framer and pinner and use a air finish and Brad. I'd switch to cordless if given the chance but there are ,edits to both.

At the shop we have a huge compressor,with a dryer hooked up to keep the moisture away,my air tools are generally used there.

At home I dont have an compressor yet althou thats been in my plans to get one for a while. I mostly use cordless and corded around the house. 

• Like 1

i do use my to apply surface finishes to shop built cabs, etc. when it is called for, so it is necessary to have a dryer hooked up, especially if you are going to be spraying laquer, any kind of moisture and you run the risk of getting 

little 'fisheye' blemish in your finish. if you are setting up a shop use and you have the room you can run two lines, one contains a dryer for coatings, and the other has an in-line oiler for your tools

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Dude, I can't thank you enough for your post. I never thought about running two separate lines for that purpose before. Thats actually a really good idea! You Rock!

thank you sir, that is the set up we used when my brother in law was alive and we were renting a warehouse to work out of. the compressor was tucked  in its own insulated little closet, for sound control,[ had to listen to my music], then we had two lines coming out of closet. it was a really sweet set up. my shop now is alot smaller, but i still have a dedicated line for spraying.

You can have all sorts of air dryer setups.at work we run a Kaeser refrigerated air dryer set up for all the pnuematic motors, cylinders, valves and misc. That isn't necessary for a woodworking shop or a mechanical shop. It really depends on exactly what it would be used for. The only thing that I will recommend as a blanket recommendation is an automatic drain valve that blows the water out at set intervals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mohawkdec said:

i do use my to apply surface finishes to shop built cabs, etc. when it is called for, so it is necessary to have a dryer hooked up, especially if you are going to be spraying laquer, any kind of moisture and you run the risk of getting 

little 'fisheye' blemish in your finish. if you are setting up a shop use and you have the room you can run two lines, one contains a dryer for coatings, and the other has an in-line oiler for your tools

Yeah, man, good info. The GF and I are planning on moving into a house on a little more property (with a shop). A big 60-80 gallon compressor is on my want list, and this is good stuff.

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

You can have all sorts of air dryer setups.at work we run a Kaeser refrigerated air dryer set up for all the pnuematic motors, cylinders, valves and misc. That isn't necessary for a woodworking shop or a mechanical shop. It really depends on exactly what it would be used for. The only thing that I will recommend as a blanket recommendation is an automatic drain valve that blows the water out at set intervals.

we have a Kaeser too,thing is badass. We run alot of pneumatics on our equipment.

• Like 1