New to this forum

builditguy

Finally decided to join.  I've been reading for a while.  Since the change to the website, I realized there was a forum.  I never even noticed before.  Just read the story about a new tool, almost everyday, then moved on.

Since the new setup, I started browsing the tool forum.  Just decided it was time.  I have some to add and I've already gotten some out of it.

I have a small construction company.  I've been buying and wearing out tools since 1990.  We are pretty much dedicated to the DeWalt line.  I could go on about the various reasons, but there will always be another that thinks Ford vs. Chevy is a debate worth having.  I've had alot of MIlwaukee in the past.  Have one lonely impact left.  I keep it in the truck, but its just far enough behind the DeWalt that it doesn't see daylight very often.  I've had Makita and I like their line of tools.  I just had so many battery problems that I can't justify the cost.  We recently took advantage of Fastenal's 18v buyout and got all new 20v tools.  Probably one of the best moves I've made in a while.  The 20v is so much better than the 18v.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, having explained a little about your taste in tools and realizing there is no right answer one brand over another, I can assume you'll fight right in here!

Oh and by the way, there's a forum here lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm not against Milwaukee.  I've just found that, using them side by side, there are a few very small differences that make me lean more toward the DeWalt.   

I also found that the DeWalt 20v line is quite a bit better than the DeWalt 18v line.  (Of course the 20v is really only 18)

• Like 1

For company history, there isn't much to tell, in my opinion.  I started out being a sub-contractor.  After a few years of that, I was getting more calls than I could handle.  Started doing more on my own than as a sub-contractor.  I feel like we've gone through phases and have made the full circle.  Went from small jobs no one else wanted to remodeling, to new houses, then back to remodeling and I've always done the small jobs no one else wanted.  I almost don't want to build houses anymore.  Too much work for the amount of money involved.  Now we do about 5% commercial work, 15% small repair work, and the rest is remodeling, kitchens, bath, windows, doors, and room additions.  I don't even bid roofs anymore.  My knees can't take it.  I'm also down to just myself and my son.  I've had several employees in the past and I've tried to get at least one good guy so I can do less physical work.  I've pretty much given up on that idea.  I just plan on keeping it the two of us, from here on out.

For tools, I will admit, I have a small problem with wanting to get them all.  Especially the ones that make the job easier.  Every year I commit to stop buying tools.  It lasts  a few weeks.  Then I see something I need.  Although I've tried almost all brands, we are sticking with the DeWalt.  I really prefer to stick with one platform and now its the 20v.

For my favorite DeWalt tool, I can't choose.  I will say, we use the impact more than anything.  Probably everyday.  With the new 20v, the circular saw is great.  Super light and cuts really good.  For remodeling, I don't know if I would need a corded circular saw.  Although I keep one in the truck, I haven't had it out in months.  The cordless has been doing fine.  

A tool that keeps surprising us is the 4 1/2" 20v grinder.  We have found so many uses for it.  Now we use it for vinyl siding.  A thin metal cutting blade cuts vinyl incredibly well.  For the last 2 vinyl siding jobs, it's the only tool we've used to cut the vinyl.  One tool, two batteries and that's all you need.  No cords, moving around the house is easy.  Getting set up in the morning takes minutes.  It just can't be beat.

A tool that doesn't get used much, but is really great is the oscillating tool.  We have a corded one, but the new 20v DeWalt is so much better.  Super light, quiet, runs great and easy.  I can't say anything bad about it.  It's just not a tool that gets alot of use, in what we do.  When we need it, it can't be beat.

We have the DeWalt sawzall, but I'm not super impressed with them.  The 4 way chuck is great, but the saws themselves seem to die quickly.  When we traded in our 18v for the 20v, we had 2 18v that we used, 1 that was broken, and 2 brand new still in the box.  I had bought extras for when they broke down.  So far we've been using the 20v for about 3 months now.  No problems, but when I use them I just don't feel like they are that great of quality.

Right now I've got 2 tools ordered.  My drill started smoking.  So I've got a new DCD995 on the way.  While I was getting it, I threw in a 20v weedeater for my son.  I couldn't help myself, it was an impulse buy, next to the register type of deal.

My next purchase will probably be an extra oscillation tool, for my son's truck, I would like to get a DeWalt rotozip, and possibly a jigsaw for my son's truck.  

All of the main tools I keep on both trucks.  I have a couple he doesn't but for the most part, both trucks have the same thing.

• Like 1

......For tools, I will admit, I have a small problem with wanting to get them all.  Especially the ones that make the job easier.  Every year I commit to stop buying tools.  It lasts  a few weeks.  Then I see something I need.  

Welcome to the club haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I haven't smoked a dewalt drill yet but i don't do drugs lol, modern drills have so many electronics with the lithium they seem to just shut them down before they can get smoked.

Why is it called a sawzall and not a reciprocating saw? because milwuakee created their brand recognition, you buy a  dewalt sawzall or a bosch sawzall even though its not a sawzall its a recipe, but milwaukee made is know that!!

• Like 1

I agree with Milwaukee making the best sawzall. We have had a few and currently have a corded one. We use it for anything that will require much cutting. They don't have the 4 way chuck, but the motor and especially the action can't be beat. 

We keep the Dewalt in the trucks, for day to day use. The Milwaukee stays in the trailer. 

The oscillating tool does a great job for cutting base, plunge cutting through a floor, and, today, cutting the bottom of a door jamb/casing. There are other tools that would have done it, but the oscillating tool is the fastest, easiest, and quickest, in this situation. If they made some good blades for it, I might use it more. Maybe not, but it is possible.