What's wrong here??

What's wrong here?? 

This unit has no ground what so ever not even a mechanical ground. If this unit would have a short and you touched the cabinet you can become the grounding point of the unit and be electrocuted. I rewired this unit all the way back to the panel and got rid of the seal tight that was just shoved into the emt. It was wired with #8 wire and the heater required #6. So I pulled 6's and a #10 ground wire and used greenfield flex. Now unit is ground mechanically and has a ground wire.

IMAG0298.jpg

4 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

No ground. Are those heat strips in a furnace?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Zip tie? And like Carl said no ground, shady connections as well

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This unit has no ground what so ever not even a mechanical ground. If this unit would have a short and you touched the cabinet you can become the grounding point of the unit and be electrocuted. I rewired this unit all the way back to the panel and got rid of the seal tight that was just shoved into the emt. It was wired with #8 wire and the heater required #6. So I pulled 6's and a #10 ground wire and used greenfield flex. Now unit is ground mechanically and has a ground wire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

No ground. Are those heat strips in a furnace?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have never seen a furnace in real life we have no need for heat here. This is an air handler with heat strips, they never get used but code requires that they be installed. The last time I had a no heat call was three years ago, it was because they had a new born baby. They only ran the heat for two days after I fixed it, we have no winter here..lol 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Justin Hernandez said:

I have never seen a furnace in real life we have no need for heat here. This is an air handler with heat strips, they never get used but code requires that they be installed. The last time I had a no heat call was three years ago, it was because they had a new born baby. They only ran the heat for two days after I fixed it, we have no winter here..lol 

We have a couple days of Winter!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be a little upset that line was wire-nutted instead of connected direct. But, I'd at least say "Well they taped the wire nuts, so I guess they weren't completely stupid".

Today was pretty cold for April, I think it dipped down to about 76 degrees.

Beats my crazy weather yesterday of sunny and warm, blizzard like conditions, he's snow! And hail... Yea and some straight line winds, fun day yesterday in Chicago.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Today was pretty cold for April, I think it dipped down to about 76 degrees.

We had snow Sat night. I was 45 min from home and they got so much I had to pull over because it was a white out for 30 min. Several accidents on the way home too.  I plow snow so I am used to driving in bad weather, but this came down so hard and so fast and I wasn't familiar with the roads. Extremely windy all day too which made it worse.

My dad is in Bonita Springs, FL for the winter and he always makes those comments too...

• Like 1

On 4/3/2016 at 2:38 PM, PROTOOLNUT said:

I am glad that you got this fixed, as it was a disaster waiting to happen. You seem to come across this kind of stuff often, are you the one they call out to fix the shoddy job done by another? lol

Let's make this clear I don't find this stuff it finds me..lol Yup I go behind unlicensed contractors and clean up there mess, the crazy thing is homeowners are always complaining about my price. They seem to forget the fact that the other guy took there money did crappy work and now it all has to get redone. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2016 at 8:20 PM, Dano123 said:

No winter? Wow! It's back down in the 20's here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

On 4/4/2016 at 10:51 PM, JimboS1ice said:

Beats my crazy weather yesterday of sunny and warm, blizzard like conditions, he's snow! And hail... Yea and some straight line winds, fun day yesterday in Chicago.

On 4/4/2016 at 11:41 PM, Dano123 said:

We had snow Sat night. I was 45 min from home and they got so much I had to pull over because it was a white out for 30 min. Several accidents on the way home too.  I plow snow so I am used to driving in bad weather, but this came down so hard and so fast and I wasn't familiar with the roads. Extremely windy all day too which made it worse.

My dad is in Bonita Springs, FL for the winter and he always makes those comments too...

On Saturday it was 93 with a heat index of 96 and humility like 80%

7 hours ago, noops said:

Was it EMT from the panel? If so then it was grounded. Seal tight in EMT tho... That sounds special.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The EMT stopped at the bottom of the air handler, they shoved a non-metallic seal tight into the EMT with no connectors. I removed the plastic seal tight, installed a transition fitting from EMT to metallic flex along with metallic flex to the unit. I wish I would have took some more pictures, it was not mechanically grounded before no ground what so ever. Now it is mechanically grounded and has a dedicated ground wire. 

• Like 2

Yup...

I have like 20 sweaters and jackets ?. eb69a35c11274cca9fa07012bb8ad580.jpg we only get like 3 months of summer and 9 of winter. Forecasted for snow on Thursday. On the positive note its good to see your troubleshooting others peoples Mickey mouse work to make it right and safe. Salutations from the cascades of California.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk