Dewalts 14.4v or 16v max line

skippy_chippy

Hey crew, so ive been thinking lately, we have this big box hardware store chain down under (in partnership with lowes) which is about  to  close down. They stock dewalts 14.4v tool line up, and im pretty  sure they are about to sell all their stock off real cheap. So my questions are...

Why does dewalt even have this line of tools  when they don't promote them, i mean they seem to have put more development into this line than their 12v line. Eg you can get 2.0ah 4.0ah and 5.0ah batteries all in 14.4v, brushless versions of the  18v dcd790.. the dcd737 and 18v dcf895 the dcf825, as well as jigsaws, angle drills, recip saw etc. Yet it doesn't  seem anyone stocks them either and theres virtually  knack all info about them on teh interwebs. Now im invested in both dewalts 12v line and 18v(20v max) line and my go to drill is the dcd790 with a 2.0 pack in there, its small, lightweight and perfect for 1/4" holes or less ( im not used to all ya imperial  measurement system) but this drill covers most my needs. Something like the dcd737 i reckon would be cool. So why cant i buy one? Why do they have this line and not concentrated on their 12v line.  I know the average joe would just go for the 18v (20v max) line up but in my job i often have 3 - 4 drills on the go with different bits in them and most of the time 14.4v would be fine (smaller, lighter, easier to manage) So crew, enlighten me, what am i missing here?  Skip chip.

doesn't look like it would be a very popular line so in saying that you might be stuck with just those tools on that battery platform may not be the best move to invest in if your wanting more tools in the future

For awhile there was the intermediary 14.4 volt tools here in the USA. Companies pretty much stopped offering them by the mid 2000's when the first Lithium tools started to come out. After that most companies standardized on 12v and 18v tools and the rare 36/28v tool even those tools have died off except for SDS drills

I seem to remember the 14v tools being just as powerful as the 18v, just not running as long.

I still have a 14v angle drill.  Yesterday afternoon I told my son to grab it for some cabinet installation.  The batteries are shot and require charging before we can use it.  Normally we need to drill a few holes and run in a few screws that a regular drill can't do.