Upcoming purchases?

Conductor562

Alright guys, everyone has a few tools they've been meaning to get. What's on yours? I'm not talking about those "if I had a million dollars" type lists, I'm talking about those "I may order that when I get paid" lists.

I've been on a hand tool kick here lately. I'm currently eyeing the following:

1. Proto 3 pc. locking plier set. This would be a replacement for the Chinese Kobalt set I have currently.

http://www.toolsource.com/3piece-locking-pliers-p-108327.html

2. Proto 19 pc. Super screwdriver set. I absolutely love these screwdrivers! I have 2 of them and I can't wait to have the full set. I have a ton of Klein screwdrivers, but can you ever really have to many screwdrivers?

http://www.toolup.com/proto_j88819_19-pc-combination-super-proto-screwdriver-set.aspx

3. Proto 15 pc. Anti-slip metric combo wrench set. I have 3 complete SAE sets I've acquired over the years, but I have only I metric set. I like having 2 wrenches of each size. 7mm - 21mm is all I'll ever need.

http://www.toolup.com/proto_j1200f-masd_15-pc-metric-combination-asd-wrench-set-12-point.aspx

4. Milwaukee Fastback II. The first time I run across one of these it will be mine!

I have to see what all fuss is about the Milwaukee M12 jigsaw is about so that's on my list.

I need a new roofing nailer probably go with another Hitachi NV45AB2 although I have been contemplating their newer NV45AES. I might also pick up one of the Duo-Fast DF175-CN cap nailers as I really like the fact that it uses regular roofing nails.

I really want to try a Sawhelper miter saw stand.

1. Proto 3 pc. locking plier set. This would be a replacement for the Chinese Kobalt set I have currently.

http://www.toolsource.com/3piece-locking-pliers-p-108327.html

Looks like a Vice Grip, sure it is worth the extra $$$? Check out http://www.toolup.com/vise-grip_73_3pc-tool-set-in-kit-bag.aspx

Speaking of locking pliers, since they all seem to be made in China now, CH Hansons version are starting to look more interesting, I like the way they unlock.

There's nothing mechanically wrong with the Kobalt set I have, I'm just set on eliminating as many Chinese tools as possible. This was the first Kobalt product I bought that said CHINA on it. Irwin makes the majority of their stuff over seas anymore as well. It's worth the extra $20 to me to have an industrial grade product that I know was made in the United States. I can't say that the quality is twice as good, but I'll feel twice as good using the tool.

It's worth the extra $20 to me to have an industrial grade product that I know was made in the United States. I can't say that the quality is twice as good, but I'll feel twice as good using the tool.

I'll believe it when I see a made in USA stamp on those locking pliers....

look under country of manufacture...

http://www.grainger....lier-Set-10G653

With Grainger origin code ES stands for Spain. I could believe Proto has some stuff made in Spain. Their insulated tools are made in Germany. I would of course prefer the United States, but it doesn't bother me to buy something made in a European country from a company who makes 90% of their stuff in the States. As long as it isn't China, Taiwan, or some Arab country I can live with it.

I thought folks might like to go through the process with me, and see how I narrow it down to the one I will eventually buy.

I have already discounted the Dewalt D250 13N-LX which was considerably cheaper, but a friend and co-worker bought one and it was getting too hot for my liking doing the kind of work we do, and he has only had it 3 days.

Let me know what you think.

I thought folks might like to go through the process with me, and see how I narrow it down to the one I will eventually buy.

I have already discounted the Dewalt D250 13N-LX which was considerably cheaper, but a friend and co-worker bought one and it was getting too hot for my liking doing the kind of work we do, and he has only had it 3 days.

Let me know what you think.

I don't think any of the tools you mentioned are available here in the U.S., so I really can't comment. I use a larger size Bosch 11255VSR which is more suited to my needs. I also prefer a D handle.

I'm wondering why you have not included Makita in your quest. I'm assuming the Hilti priced out of your range.

The Milwaukee also comes with an interchangeable 3 jaw chuck as well.

And Hilti are almost impossible to buy they want you to have them on fleet and I won't do that.

That particular Bosch is not available over here.

What about Makita? Hitachi probably is an option as well.

I am taking my time a bit in choosing partly because it would be so easy to dive in and buy the Metabo based on how good my cordless tools have been.

But over the years i have learned that one tool maker does not always make the best everything.

My Metabo 24v drill out drills the Dewalt corded hands down as well as the Bosch and makita, so am looking for a drill that can do a bit more without being as heavy as a sack of spuds or as big as a donkeys rear end. :)

I've got the Milwaukee 5262 D-Handle and I'm very happy with it. It doesn't have an Active Vibration Control system, but it's very lightweight design compensates very nicely. The Bosch Bulldog is probably a better bet for all day, everyday use, but the 5262 is awesome for intermittent or overhead use.

D handle drills are as rare as honest bankers over here LOL :D

That is really odd to me, what with how popular they are for roto hammers over here. Just about everyone I work with has one. Took a look around Toolstops website and noticed you guys are paying some serious money for roto hammers as well, looks like about twice what we pay here.