Bought Some New and Old Tools by Accident

comp56

so I have been putting flooring in at my sisters yesterday and today and a lady neighbor of my sisters comes over to see her while I working .....she see my tools laying around and says my husband is selling off some of his tools as we are down sizing and moving into an old folks home...and chuckles as she say cause we are very old....lol she says if you ant you can come take a look.....so I thought hmm what kind of tools is this old guy gonna have hope he isn't just selling some crap stuff....but I go across the street to see anyway.....well it turns out he had a few good things...

250 piece titanium drill bit set brand new got for his 90th birthday never used it....

6 extra heavy duty old school pipe clamps with 6 pieces of 36" pipe and 6 pieces of 72" pipes

4 smaller german clamps

10" block plane and a smaller plane with stone

so I gather this stuff all up and ask him how much....he says tell you what, give me $60 for the drill bit kit cause they were over $160 brand new and says you give $60 for them and I will throw in the rest ....I said are you sure and he says yes I'd rather them go to good use and you showed some good interest in it all........woot!....

20160326_201208.jpg

20160326_201302.jpg

20160326_201316.jpg

20160326_201328.jpg

• Like 11

thanks guys ya the drill bits could drill a hole or two each I could care less, that No.10 block plane alone is worth more than twice I paid......let alone everything else....

1 minute ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I see, I'm not up on my block plane knowledge, so that didn't exactly cross my mind looking at your pile of goodies

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ya some of these vintage hand planes can fetch hundreds of dollars, probably the best tool out there for resale. Like everything else not all of them but many good quality models do.

if my wife ever drags me out to yard sales for thing I look for......

that is a kinda new side hobby is to start restoring them.....

• Like 1

Yup, the drill bits set is just gravy, the real meat is in the planes. Older planes can fetch some pretty decent bucks, and $60 for just the large plane by itself is a steal. I see a lot of those bit sets on Woots "Tool and Garden" section, typically at a cheap price. I think along the same lines as Comp though...if the bit drills two or three holes it served its purpose, and there's 5 more in the set to use. Just in material alone and the fact that they'll drill more than three holes is enough to make a set like that worth something.

I have a Ryobi 29pc black oxide set that I've had for years, so far I've only had to sharpen two of the bits and replace one other. Otherwise that set has went through everything with no fuss. We sell bits at work and they're shit, the little ones snap easily...however, they drill until they die and they're free...so there's really no loss. I have a quality index that I keep locked up at work, that's for serious drilling...

Yup, the drill bits set is just gravy, the real meat is in the planes. Older planes can fetch some pretty decent bucks, and $60 for just the large plane by itself is a steal. I see a lot of those bit sets on Woots "Tool and Garden" section, typically at a cheap price. I think along the same lines as Comp though...if the bit drills two or three holes it served its purpose, and there's 5 more in the set to use. Just in material alone and the fact that they'll drill more than three holes is enough to make a set like that worth something.

I have a Ryobi 29pc black oxide set that I've had for years, so far I've only had to sharpen two of the bits and replace one other. Otherwise that set has went through everything with no fuss. We sell bits at work and they're shit, the little ones snap easily...however, they drill until they die and they're free...so there's really no loss. I have a quality index that I keep locked up at work, that's for serious drilling...

I have a set of ryobi titanium bits and even if they are just gold dipped them are very nice, I do want to get a good set of drill bits though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I have a set of ryobi titanium bits and even if they are just gold dipped them are very nice, I do want to get a good set of drill bits though.

Get a set of cobalt drill bits. They drill through steel like butter. Don't get the cobalt coated ones though. I have a set of Irwin cobalt bits and they have held up fine.

• Like 1