Anyone into fast cars?

Dano123

Back before the housing crash, when I had some money to play with, this was what my garage looked like:

DSCN0484.JPG

The ones on the floor are model year 2001... Sadly only the one on the left remains.

Guess what is under the red cover and I will post a picture of it...

• Like 2

Close... one model number off. It's an F355.

DSCN0466.JPGDSCN0476.JPGDSCN0463.JPGDSCN0449.JPG

As much fun as this car was to drive, I have to say that buying it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. It was deserving of the moniker "Money Pit". Bought it used, and three days later the AC failed, costing me a bit over three thousand in parts alone. I can highly recommend that you never buy one of these if you want anything other than a garage queen. Even then it will bleed you dry.

• Like 5

Damn it, I wanted another guess. My actual first guess was going to be a Ferrari but I went with Porsche because of the others...I wouldn't have gotten the 355 though, I was thinking 308 initially but competitiveness aside....

That 355 is beautiful, shame yours had issues. I think either the 355 or 360 had an issue with the plastic, it would become a sticky goo over time. It was soo common that there are easy to find aftermarket replacements for those pieces, which is terribly uncommon for Ferrari parts. You have great taste in cars despite the issues with the Ferrari.

• Like 1

Yes, the 355 had the issues with the clear rubberized coating on all of the control knobs turning to goo. The simple fix for it was to wash them all off with a cleaning agent like orange clean, but there were some items that you had to be careful with due to complexity or location, and just leave alone (air vents).

One of the main issues of owning the car turned out to be the expense of specialty tooling required to work on it. I prefer to work on my own vehicles and have stripped Porsches down to the frame, and also rebuilt a few as well. This one made me cringe a bit when it came to working on it, and I spent way too much time detailing it and attempting to find fluid leaks on the undercarriage. Changing the serpentine belt on a major service schedule required removal of the engine from the vehicle. Cost for someone else to perform that major service was astounding, to say the least. Cost of purchasing specialty tools needed to do engine work on it simply boggled the mind. Parts that failed were always special order and weeks away from delivery. And the list of issues just climbed from there.

Overall, the car was awesome fun to drive, but a nightmare in all other regards. Also, above 140 mph the car would require extreme concentration as it would get a wee bit squirrelly, where the Porsche Turbo was rock solid stable cruising at 155 mph and caused very little mental stress at that speed. The Porsche Boxster on the other hand doesn't have the power to get over 120 mph, but as an everyday driver is awesome fun and much less expensive to drive and service than the others.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JMG said:

Yes, the 355 had the issues with the clear rubberized coating on all of the control knobs turning to goo. The simple fix for it was to wash them all off with a cleaning agent like orange clean, but there were some items that you had to be careful with due to complexity or location, and just leave alone (air vents).

One of the main issues of owning the car turned out to be the expense of specialty tooling required to work on it. I prefer to work on my own vehicles and have stripped Porsches down to the frame, and also rebuilt a few as well. This one made me cringe a bit when it came to working on it, and I spent way too much time detailing it and attempting to find fluid leaks on the undercarriage. Changing the serpentine belt on a major service schedule required removal of the engine from the vehicle. Cost for someone else to perform that major service was astounding, to say the least. Cost of purchasing specialty tools needed to do engine work on it simply boggled the mind. Parts that failed were always special order and weeks away from delivery. And the list of issues just climbed from there.

Overall, the car was awesome fun to drive, but a nightmare in all other regards. Also, above 140 mph the car would require extreme concentration as it would get a wee bit squirrelly, where the Porsche Turbo was rock solid stable cruising at 155 mph and caused very little mental stress at that speed. The Porsche Boxster on the other hand doesn't have the power to get over 120 mph, but as an everyday driver is awesome fun and much less expensive to drive and service than the others.

It's crazy how stuff that you think would be have more downforce actually don't, my friend had an E36 BMW tuned up and that car was rock steady at 150mph. I loved driving that car, it was soo damn stable and turned on a dime. The Italians seem to put everything into their styling department but the Germans are much better engineers. Though it seems the Italians are catching up since the 1990s, I think F1 has a lot to do with that.