repairing 1950s table saw

jon burgess

The belt will need to be readjusted after a few minutes of running. This is normal for any pulley setup, but especially normal for something as old as this. Through years of running, the pulleys develop wear and so the grooves get wider than OE. The belt will settle and wear into the larger/wider groove after some run time. Just adjust as necessary.

I didn't see what RPM the motor was for but it should be quiet. When you think it is noisy as in what you were expecting the motor should be you are thinking about a direct drive motor spinning at 9 or 10,000 RPM like a router or rotozip. In fact the noisiest thing you should hear on your saw would be the spinning of the blade. Should sound like a nice whirring.

And yes, it will be underpowered compared to todays saws. that is the nature of the beast. people back then didn't expect to cut 12/4 Oak on the small saw like this. ;) My '49 Unisaw has only a one horse motor compared with the motors they put in today of 3 and 5 horsepower. You just have to know the limits and work within them.

Very nice job on the refinishing. the top looks fantastic!

Ok thats going to be good for about 3/4 plywood at most with a sharp blade. you can provbably do more if you go slow enough.

On the motor there may be a frame size designation if the nameplate is still entirely readable. If the frame size for example is 56, you can look up a 56 and what the munting dimensions are. Any motor with the same frame size in any HP configuration will bolt up and the pulley should work.

So for example the frame size was 56H (just some random designation) and was 1/2 HP and you came across a 56H frame motor that was 1.5HP then the two will be interchangeable as far as mounting and motor shaft size. you only need to worry about the breaker size and if the wiring can carry the amps you require. I've seen people even install a newer paddle switch and install a 240V motor in older saws as well. in any event, since the motor is behind the saw and not tucked in under the abor, you have a few more options available than do many others with odd old saws. Either way, just keep your eyes open on Craigslist for motors once in a hile as people clean out garages or sell off their dads stuff after they died.

you may already know all of this, so my apologies if you do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...