You sure went to some effort to get those cracks prepped, looks like you are methodical and doing a fantastic job.

Do you have to worry about the foundation walls bowing in and needing to support them? A lot of houses around here are like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On April 7, 2016 at 0:39 PM, JimboS1ice said:

I would get a diamond cup for surface grinding. Not sure how the epoxy will react though

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea i have a diamond cup that i used to strip the floors, I think ill try that

On April 7, 2016 at 0:51 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

You sure went to some effort to get those cracks prepped, looks like you are methodical and doing a fantastic job.

Do you have to worry about the foundation walls bowing in and needing to support them? A lot of houses around here are like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thankfully I have not seen any major cracks or problems with the foundation walls, they seem to be holding up fairly well. That is an issue I would be happy to avoid!

Hello Crew! Just wanted to update everyone on the workshop. The epoxy finally showed up!  First I blew out the cracks with compressed air then I started to fill them in. I was able to fill in about half the floor but unfortunately I ran out of epoxy so I will have to get more but here are some pics of the progress.

IMG_7320.jpgIMG_7321.jpgIMG_7322.jpgIMG_7323.jpgIMG_7328.jpgIMG_7324.jpgIMG_7325.jpgIMG_7326.jpgIMG_7327.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great! Are you doing an epoxy paint over the whole floor once you are finished?  I have a basement floor project coming up soon too and I am debating on using the basic floor paint I used several years ago or doing it in epoxy. Etching the floor is the biggest concern I have since I am planning to do half of the floor at a time since it is our tv/game room where we spend most of our time. I don't really have room to empty the entire room to do the floor in one shot and I don't want to get acid on my furniture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dano123 said:

Looks great! Are you doing an epoxy paint over the whole floor once you are finished?  I have a basement floor project coming up soon too and I am debating on using the basic floor paint I used several years ago or doing it in epoxy. Etching the floor is the biggest concern I have since I am planning to do half of the floor at a time since it is our tv/game room where we spend most of our time. I don't really have room to empty the entire room to do the floor in one shot and I don't want to get acid on my furniture. 

Thanks Dano! I am going to do an epoxy paint once I finish the cracks, probably Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield. Do you have a grinder? I have been reading up on preparing concrete floors, and you may already know all this but but if not, this is what I found out. From what I understand etching the floors and grinding the floors accomplish the same thing which is opening up the pores so the epoxy can adhere to the concrete. If you have the equipment you can do what I did and just grind the whole floor with a diamond cup wheel since you already have to remove the old paint anyways. Then you would not have to worry about the acid or getting water on all your stuff. If you do grind it make sure you have a dust shroud for your grinder and use a fine particle dust bag in the shop vac. I started the floors with no dust collection and I had a thick layer of concrete dust covering everything in the basement!

• Like 2

Great information, thanks. I am still in the planning phase and the research I did about the epoxy paint was for my garage. I decided against it out there because I saw too many bad reviews and I would rather leave it bare. It's an old floor with oil spots here and there and I think it would be a huge project just to prep it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello Crew! Wanted to give an update on the basement. I ordered more epoxy and finished filling in the cracks. I then used a 7 in. grinder with a diamond cup wheel to level out the epoxy once it had cured. The diamond wheel worked great and I am happy with the results. Looks so much better than before! Next step is to paint the walls and epoxy the floors. I will keep everyone updated and feel free to ask any questions.IMG_7413.jpgIMG_7414.jpgIMG_7415.jpgIMG_7416.jpgIMG_7417.jpgIMG_7418.jpgIMG_7419.jpgIMG_7420.jpgIMG_7423.jpgIMG_7425.jpgIMG_7435.jpgIMG_7466.jpgIMG_7467.jpgIMG_7468.jpgIMG_7469.jpgIMG_7470.jpgIMG_7471.jpgIMG_7472.jpgIMG_7474.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/15/2016 at 1:58 AM, ClevelandQ said:

Thanks Dano! I am going to do an epoxy paint once I finish the cracks, probably Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield. Do you have a grinder? I have been reading up on preparing concrete floors, and you may already know all this but but if not, this is what I found out. From what I understand etching the floors and grinding the floors accomplish the same thing which is opening up the pores so the epoxy can adhere to the concrete. If you have the equipment you can do what I did and just grind the whole floor with a diamond cup wheel since you already have to remove the old paint anyways. Then you would not have to worry about the acid or getting water on all your stuff. If you do grind it make sure you have a dust shroud for your grinder and use a fine particle dust bag in the shop vac. I started the floors with no dust collection and I had a thick layer of concrete dust covering everything in the basement!

if your buying one of the" off the shelf epoxy systems" , you need to know what kind of paint is on the floor now unless your going to remove it completely. your going to have a choice between waterborne, and alkyd base coatings.your true epoxy paints will be atleast a two part system. not the one part systems your seeing all over now, the one part systems cannot hold up under heavy use. a decent two part residential epoxy can cost you 100.00 to 150.00 a kit. some of the systems we use in airport hangers and water treatment plants cost as much as 400.00 a kit, they last longer than the concrete they are applied to. if you dont know what is on the floor now, or if in fact there is a vapor barrier under the slab or not, stay with a waterborn epoxy. none of our floors ever called for grinding the floors to etch, we used an acid and a stiff broom, and then rinsed it good. this is all that was required in the specs for bare concrete.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 3/29/2016 at 12:15 AM, ClevelandQ said:

Hello TIA crew! I am currently turning my basement into a workshop and in need of a little advice. My basement used to have a wall separating two rooms (the wall was not structural and was installed by the last homeowner) I removed the wall to make more space for a workshop I am building. Half of the floor was covered in nature stone and half in an epoxy similar to those found in a garage. I am in the process of grinding off the old epoxy so i can paint over floor with a floor paint. when  removed the nature stone (pain in the **s) I found some cracks in the concrete floor. I was wondering what would be the best way to address these cracks? I was going to grind out the cracks and use some DAP pre-mixed concrete patch I got from home depot however after doing a little research I have read that  it takes a very long time to dry and may not be the best choice. I also have some holes on the cinder block walls of the basement from when i tore down some shelves that were anchored in Trench Shoring UAE. What is the best way to patch these holes? (none of them are more than an inch deep, most being much smaller) Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

hey, iam building a new home and thinking about building a workshop in the basement. using all the tools and looking for pros and cons and some good  ideas  as far as dust migration upsatairs as well in the heating system (forced hot air) any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1