Nailers

noops

So I'm wondering what in the world all these different sizes are for. I've been building cedar planter boxes for my wife using a Dewalt framing nailer using 2" ring nails. It works awesome. For trimming them I'm thinking a 15ga angled would make nice for trimming with minimal marking up but still give some structure. Probably wouldn't make a good nailer for trim work. I guess that's what the smaller stuff is for? Why are there sooooo many sizes? What's the benefit of 16 compared to 15? Seems rather insignificant of a difference. Please help me understand. So people really carry around a dozen different Nailers?!?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, noops said:

So I'm wondering what in the world all these different sizes are for. I've been building cedar planter boxes for my wife using a Dewalt framing nailer using 2" ring nails. It works awesome. For trimming them I'm thinking a 15ga angled would make nice for trimming with minimal marking up but still give some structure. Probably wouldn't make a good nailer for trim work. I guess that's what the smaller stuff is for? Why are there sooooo many sizes? What's the benefit of 16 compared to 15? Seems rather insignificant of a difference. Please help me understand. So people really carry around a dozen different Nailers?!?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

i have 3 trim nailers, a pin nailer , which is used for very thin stuff and  returns on molding, an 18 ga for smaller molding, and a 15 ga for larger molding, the 15 and 18 usually get used together. if your only going to buy one trim nailer, buy the 16ga. one word of caution, be sure to use a good nail with cedar, or your wind up with tanin stains down the road

8 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

15ga vs 16ga is like sidewinder vs worm drive, you really don't need both (although I'm sure some people around here think you do :P )

correct, that is why if your only going to buy one buy the 16, it will handle most but not all the smaller stuff, and will also handle the bigger stuff, if im installing new store bought molding, which is getting thinner faster than my hair, then i only use the 18 ga. my buddy uses the 16 ga only, and he will on occasion get a split on the thinner part of molding.When we do custom work which is usually 3/4 thick, i pull out the 15. used to use the 15 on store bought molding, bought it has got to thin. When we used to hand nail only, we always used two different size finish nails

• Like 1

All I use is 16 gauge and 18g. They leave a smaller hole for thinner materials. Like door molding. Its thicker on the out side of the molding than the inside. That fasten to the door casing. So you would use the 18g there. And 16g on the thicker part for more holding power with a bigger nail.

Millerz

• Like 1

18ga staples are good for thin ply and fabric.  There are also larger industrial staplers used for building things like pallets and crates.

23ga is for fine woodworking.  Since pin nails have no head unlike brad nails they can be used in wood that won't be painted.  Downside is they have little holding power against pullout so you typically alternate directions in an X pattern.

I forgot to mention, 16ga comes in straight and angled depending on the manufacturer.  Don't bother with straight