Makita RT0701CX7 compact router

JerryNY

I needed a compact router or trim router for mortising some hinges and was going the get the new Dewalt one but Amazon had a decent deal on the Makita, $115 after a $20 discount and another 5% form my Amazon cash back. Not a bad package for just over $100, includes a plunge base too. As a first project with it I decided to work on a solid core pocket door I was installing and threw a Diablo bit on the Makita to mortise out a channel on the bottom to hide a guide on the bottom of the door, I hate those visible cheap plastic guides that screw on the bottom of many pocket doors' jam trim that end up scratching the door over time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I haven't had a huge amount of experience with routers but taking off a 1/8th at a time and taking my time it came out ok. I took a stainless 3/8" lag and rounded off the head with my grinder to make a simple guide and it works great, it's hidden under the door and makes the whole thing look much more polished.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

So far so good with my first Makita tool. The only question I have is when can I expect the Makita Girls to come over and show my how to properly handle my tools? ;)

• Like 6

On March 30, 2016 at 1:59 AM, JerryNY said:

I needed a compact router or trim router for mortising some hinges and was going the get the new Dewalt one but Amazon had a decent deal on the Makita, $115 after a $20 discount and another 5% form my Amazon cash back. Not a bad package for just over $100, includes a plunge base too. As a first project with it I decided to work on a solid core pocket door I was installing and threw a Diablo bit on the Makita to mortise out a channel on the bottom to hide a guide on the bottom of the door, I hate those visible cheap plastic guides that screw on the bottom of many pocket doors' jam trim that end up scratching the door over time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I haven't had a huge amount of experience with routers but taking off a 1/8th at a time and taking my time it came out ok. I took a stainless 3/8" lag and rounded off the head with my grinder to make a simple guide and it works great, it's hidden under the door and makes the whole thing look much more polished.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

So far so good with my first Makita tool. The only question I have is when can I expect the Makita Girls to come over and show my how to properly handle my tools? ;)

Nice work! Nice router, Conductor has one too. As far as my Makita girls? Sorry Jerry.....they're all mine. The German ones that come with my Festools are just too darn strict!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used it again to notch a couple of base cabinets to be able to cram a bigger sink into my corner sink installation. It helped me to get a 28" sink in the corner and only have it set back about 5" from the front counter lip which is quite a feat. Handy little router, lots of dust to clean up after though ?image.jpegimage.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

That'll look nice once you get it installed, what's the counter top and faucet going to look like

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Soapstone counters with white quartzite island and slab backsplashes. I'm having a drain board cut into the counter in the back corner with the faucet going in a notch on the back left corner. Samples of the stones:

image.jpeg

Dark Soapstone counters with white quartzite island and slab backsplashes. I'm having a drain board cut into the counter in the back corner with the faucet going in a notch on the back left corner. Samples of the stones:

image.jpeg

That's going to look sharp I can't wait to see it

37 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

That's my dream kitchen counter material, maybe not that color but you can make any color work in the right situation. .. I will have to do that at some point in my life, love that stuff

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you don't oil it, or put beeswax on it, the soapstone becomes more of a concrete gray color which I also like but you don't see the white veins pop in contrast . I attached a photo showing the side without any oil/wax on it.

image.jpeg

Some varieties come in greenish hues too. It's a pretty remarkable material; you can pour acid on it without worry, it won't stain, if you mark it up you can sand it down and you can even cut it with normal woodworking tools and saws. Kinda crazy. The place I sourced mine from sells diy slab kitchen kits really reasonably priced too. Because it's so easy to work with.

• Like 2

Ahhh soapstone; wonderful top material. I produced several sets of kitchen tops for one of my customers in Florida many years ago. One trick used to bond edges was to collect some dust from sanding down the surface and add it to the epoxy to color the joint. Also used some plastic lamello biscuits in places for alignment and stability.

It does wear out the tools and tooling in a hurry though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't oil it, or put beeswax on it, the soapstone becomes more of a concrete gray color which I also like but you don't see the white veins pop in contrast . I attached a photo showing the side without any oil/wax on it.

image.jpeg

Some varieties come in greenish hues too. It's a pretty remarkable material; you can pour acid on it without worry, it won't stain, if you mark it up you can sand it down and you can even cut it with normal woodworking tools and saws. Kinda crazy. The place I sourced mine from sells diy slab kitchen kits really reasonably priced too. Because it's so easy to work with.

How often do you have to oil it, is it a one in done thing or do you have to maintain it over time

17 hours ago, Shuutr said:

So the deal is back on at AcmeTool.  Given your experience, would you buy the same tool or the dewalt router set for a little more?

Yeah It's a great little router. The only thing it really lacks compared to the Dewalt is an LED light. That wasn't an issue for my occasional use and if you can get it on sale it's a no brainier. It has a solid feel and weight to it and good power for its size. No disappointments at all from me.

56 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

How often do you have to oil it, is it a one in done thing or do you have to maintain it over time

Just FYI the oil is purely for aesthetics, it's not like sealing stone or marble to protect them from staining. Soapstone is almost completely non-porous, you literally can pour battery acid on it and it won't do anything to it. The oil just makes it darker and brings out the contrasting veins. If you want really dark coloration you need to oil it more frequently but the longer you have it the more it builds up and the longer it lasts til needing it reapplied. A new countertop might need weekly small applications to keep it black but after a few months might only need a monthly and then longer. It takes very little time to apply so it's not a big deal. I like both the black and the more concrete gray look so I'll see what's what. Either way it's reversible over time if you want darker just add oil, if you want lighter coloration let it just be for a while.

• Like 1