Reconditioned Tools Good? Normal to See Spark in Hammer Drill Vent?

downplay

I was in a hurry, not paying close enough attention, and I accidentally bought a set of
reconditioned Milwaukees. I saved $130 on Ebay but I'm a bit paranoid. They seem OK so

far and I now realize, even if one failed, I could replace or nearly replace one for the savings.

Is it normal to see a spark in the vent of the Hammer Drill when I release the trigger and its stops?

Have you had good luck with reconditioned tools?

• Like 1

I have never bought reconditioned tools but the spark is normal. I know some people have had good luck with reconditioned tools. If the only thing you noticed was the spark you probably are ok, plus it's nice to save the cash and get more tools for the money.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The spark is normal from the brake, but if it's brighter than you're used to it might be worth looking at the brushes to make sure everything is ok.

Most reconditioned products are perfect.  It still has the brand name on it and there's no point spending millions on marketing then distributing a small number of junk products with the brand name on them.

I'm assuming it's from CPO...they do a great job at recon tools. The spark and the smell(I know you didn't ask) is totally normal, it takes a little while for the smell to lessen, it's that new drill smell. You do have a 1 year(I think) warranty on the tool and battery if it was through CPO or another authorized dealer.

The way I look at it if they are recond then you know they have been inspected and brought to factory specs.  When you buy new tools chances are quality control only checks so many per shift.  I have bought several reconditioned products over the years and never had a problem.

• Like 2

I've bought a number of reconditioned tools from CPO and I can't say that I haven't had any problems.  On my first M18 Hammer Drill (2604), the trigger reverse switch was stuck so you couldn't actually push the trigger.  How that got past Milwaukee Recon QC, I'll never know.  The other problem was with my first Milwaukee Miter Saw.  There was something wrong with the bevel mechanism and there were no detents, so you could never get it back to vertical again.  Both of these problems were problems with Milwaukee's Recon QC, since they do all of the checking and CPO just re-sells. 

Now, that having been said, CPO is a first class company to deal with.  In both of these cases, they paid for shipping to return the items and send me replacements in very short order.  I might buy recon again, or I might not - depending on how smoking the deal was.  But I'll definitely buy from CPO again.

• Like 2

My favorite part of CPO is they're located in the SE, so it's quick shipping to Florida!

My Milwaukee recon tools arrived looking and working brand new, not a scratch on the chuck or in the body. The batteries looked new also, the button usually deforms a little with use but these were perfect. The only marks were the etching done to the batteries to mark them, and you don't see that when they're installed into the tool. I think they get a fair amount of working returns that they test and reship after passing inspection.

• Like 1

The only other decent hammer drill I ever owned or used was a DeWalt and I just didn't notice any sparking. I'd say it doesn't seem excessive if you say this is normal to see. It doesn't jump out of the vents by any means!

All the tools look brand new, and the batteries too except for the etching as mentioned. I'm happy to hear good things about reconditioned tools and CPO. I'll test them all thoroughly and if they work I'll keep them. The savings is substantial enough to replace an out of warranty tool--so I guess that is how I'll look at it. I'm not using them to make a living at present so they'll probably receive relatively light use.

Next time I should pay more attention making such a big purchase. One of the reasons I chose Milwaukee is the 5 year warranty!

Thanks.

16 hours ago, downplay said:

The only other decent hammer drill I ever owned or used was a DeWalt and I just didn't notice any sparking. I'd say it doesn't seem excessive if you say this is normal to see. It doesn't jump out of the vents by any means!

All the tools look brand new, and the batteries too except for the etching as mentioned. I'm happy to hear good things about reconditioned tools and CPO. I'll test them all thoroughly and if they work I'll keep them. The savings is substantial enough to replace an out of warranty tool--so I guess that is how I'll look at it. I'm not using them to make a living at present so they'll probably receive relatively light use.

Next time I should pay more attention making such a big purchase. One of the reasons I chose Milwaukee is the 5 year warranty!

Thanks.

I think you'll be plenty happy with the drill. There is more sparking as you go up in power. Was your Dewalt a NiCad? I'm willing to bet that it's getting a little weak and the brushes are worn so it makes the difference that much more drastic.

I do want to remind you that the 5-year warranty is on new tools, there is only a 1-year warranty on the reconditioned...I don't imagine you will have an issue but if you really want that warranty, and you bought it from CPO, they do have a 60-day money back guarantee. I do not know the terms on the money back guarantee.

• Like 1