Meat band saw

JimboS1ice

So most of you guys know I'm a butcher by trade, so I thought I'd throw a picture up of one of the iron ponies I work on. It is a Hobart bandsaw designs for cutting meat, this one has a what we call a bone in blade which is a 124" x 5/8 @ 3pti blades. For cutting boneless blades we can put a scalloped edge blade on it. Notice the scrapers on the bottom wheel that remove meat particles from the blade and the drive wheel itself.

4184ce0fd59e25c48336415b4d331c12.jpg

5a470ad8ad3de74521398140abf1ebde.jpg

c9cee38170fe5d65e6d608c509aab67d.jpg

00ee138a6c40a5fa12f042bebb2fc094.jpg

63ad8d0ba3fb5c469e4fd280c06a53a7.jpg

There are many variants throughout the company, biggest one I've worked on is a 142" saw.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

That looks like a food safety inspector's dream, that whole area is very clean. Neat band saw, I haven't seen one in person, I've only really been in dry food and seafood processing plants so I've never seen that kind of equipment(though I knew it existed). Thanks for posting, it's a beauty of a machine.

• Like 1

That looks like a food safety inspector's dream, that whole area is very clean. Neat band saw, I haven't seen one in person, I've only really been in dry food and seafood processing plants so I've never seen that kind of equipment(though I knew it existed). Thanks for posting, it's a beauty of a machine.

Prior to the start of splattering blood everywhere, we have high sanitation standards as well, when I'm at a busier store where I cut a lot of bone in I'll throw a picture of what a really dirty saw can look like lol.

• Like 3

When I was younger we used butcher a few head of cattle and hogs a year. I was always too young to run the meat band saw. Probably a good idea though, seeing as how I am quite fond of my limbs! By the way, Meat Band Saw sounds like a good death metal band name!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Jimbo, that is very cool, I have never seen a bandsaw blade on a sheave (pully) like that before. Looks just like a motor/fan sheave we would attach a V-Belt too. Awesome and very clean man....

Every night the cutting room gets cleaned with food safe detergent and sanitizer, one thing about meat and metal is that the protein will build up on it over time if not scrubbed down occasionally, to keep meat particles from sticking we use a food safe mineral oil, pretty much veggie oil.

• Like 1

Those are badass saws man,must be fun using that thing.  We have an very old school Delta bandsaw,and a DoAll bandsaw that look very similar to this but for metalworking. The way your blade rides on pulleys is how ours are as well,Ive never not seen one that way. instead of scrapers ours have brushes to help remove metal chips from the blade.

• Like 1

It amazes me that you guys really only have wear on the floor, I don't see rust or any gunk buildup. I don't recall seeing many tools in food production that didn't have at least surface rust or gunk in the little crevices and on the motor. I guess it helps that you're just doing meat and don't have any spices involved, but you guys do a great job cleaning.

i've always wondered, can an old meat bandsaw be re-purposed for cutting wood or metal after retirement?

Don't think it would be too hard to do, trick would be finding blades and figuring out how to keep the friction down, if your doing metal you would want brushes instead of scrapers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Here's some pictures and a short video of the grinder, this one is under a year old state of the art, foot petal runs in air not electronic.

242bd6cfac282859e4d58d1a31de4dba.jpg

9b863a3efcbe12bfb1f1d502edd765f8.jpg

9c5708622bde20e18475c0ca848d0bf8.jpg

50647d6412d03724576a4111da119148.jpg

https://vimeo.com/161391234

Jimbo

There was an episode of Bones some time ago that had a meat grinder as the murder weapon yowch

Thats a nice machine Jimbo. My step dad processes his own deer and when I gave him my old bench top Craftsman band saw he made a comment about cleaning it up to use for meat.  I guess a little saw dust on your steak never hurt anyone...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dano123 said:

Thats a nice machine Jimbo. My step dad processes his own deer and when I gave him my old bench top Craftsman band saw he made a comment about cleaning it up to use for meat.  I guess a little saw dust on your steak never hurt anyone...

I hear fiber is good for your diet haha

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Not even a year old... i think they told me it was about 25,000... state of the art technology in this beast.

Thats cool,when I was a kid I learned how to weld on Hobart welders. Hobart is a name im very familiar with. Still have a Hobart in my dads garage.

• Like 1

19dd479e743b0a1f8ffe9ba4ba81cc38.jpg

Same model saw different store... This is the boneless blade, scalloped edges instead of teeth designed for cutting boneless meat, it won't tear the meat as much as a toothed blade.

Jimbo

• Like 3