Time for a New Air Compressor?

taylorv1

My Husky 3 Gal air compressor broke today, at the worst time too. It still fills with air, but the turning knob, to select amount of air you want, is stripped. I took of the knob cover, and the screw underneath is stripped. It just keeps turning and nothing happens. I bought the air compressor over 3 years ago at Home Depot. They shortly discontinued the compressor about 6 months after I bought it. Would it be possible to fix it, or is it time to buy a new Air Compressor? Any Air Compressor Recommendations? I am a woodworker. I mostly just use a nail gun with it. 

FullSizeRender 20.jpg

IMG_8254.JPG

I'd see if you can find a replacement piece that will fit. I don't see a reason to replace something for $150-200 because of a $5-10 part. Even if you want to upgrade; I think it makes more sense to fix this compressor and sell it.

If you can find the 4.6 gallon Husky silent flow at HD, they're only $100 but they're becoming very hard to find at this point. I think that's worth the upgrade because you can probably sell yours, fixed, for $50 pretty easily...and the Silent flow is ridiculously quiet.

• Like 1

You can get just about any air regulator you can find and adapt to your compressor, it might not match up perfectly and that cover might not fit back on once you take it off to access the fittings, but it will work, and it's cheaper too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I have this compressor..picked it up at Harbour Freight as a coupon deal..some maintenance required as it does take 

compressor oil ...it works quite well...

• Like 2

I like Rolair Jimbo I do, but you also have to admit that they cost a lot of money. For the same price of a Rolair 6 gallon, I was able to get a Central Pneumatic 21 gallon from HF. So since he had a 3 gallon, any size above that would be an upgrade. So I suggest anything from 6 to 8 gallon for around the home.

I know they are lol if his car broke I would have told him go by a Mercedez or something.

• Like 1

Hope it works for you, I have worked on a lot of compressors, big and small, it's pretty basic stuff, putting on a regulator, even if this isn't the exact replacement for it, you can get a few fitting to simply modify the current setup. Just ask, happy to help!

• Like 1