Tough System Racks

RickyMcGrath

Thats going to look bad ass once you get it all installed!!

Thanks Jimbo. I'm really hoping to get those dang brackets sooner than later.

Turns out the site I ordered them from had Home Depot ship them. HD only had 5 in stock as their site said "out of stock" as soon as the 5 shipped. Now HD says they have them but the site I bought them from isn't responding.

Ricky I'm sure you might have shared previously somewhere on the forum and I might have missed it, but what the hell do you do, exactly? I mean to justify the quantity of boxes alone, empty, I'd have a crew of 10 men. 

I'm also not sold on the purpose of the boxes, honestly. If I broke down my tools into boxes instead of shelving like I have it now, I think it would actually take up 5 times as much volume as it does currently, so any insight into what I'm missing would be great. 

• Like 1

Ricky I'm sure you might have shared previously somewhere on the forum and I might have missed it, but what the hell do you do, exactly? I mean to justify the quantity of boxes alone, empty, I'd have a crew of 10 men. 

I'm also not sold on the purpose of the boxes, honestly. If I broke down my tools into boxes instead of shelving like I have it now, I think it would actually take up 5 times as much volume as it does currently, so any insight into what I'm missing would be great. 

I had my own construction business for almost 5 years. I recently took on a project manager spot for a remodeling company so my tools don't get used no where near as much.

Each box is dedicated to a tool/trade. If I need my plumbing box, I grab that box. Electrical, paint, etc. then I have a box with small grinders, one with router bits, one with track saw, band saw, recip saws, two with various screws and fasteners, one with trim routers and accessories. When I'm done, one will be drill bits and tips, one will be my laser level.

I'm taking everything out of the factory boxes and putting them in Tough Boxes.

• Like 1

I see. I mean it makes sense to do it categorically more than actual tool wise I guess, but not being able to have a window of sight into the contents of each box would be a deal breaker for me I think. I'd probably forget half of what I had and not remember half of what I'd forgotten to resupply. 

Do you carry on site or use the cart?

• Like 1

Just now, PROTOOLNUT said:

You can easily solve that by labeling the boxes, so you will always know which box has what.

Yea I know, but it's a specific contents issue for me, if it's out of sight, it's out of mind. I'd be going through containers constantly to keep up inventory, but I like the integration of the system for sure. I'd thought about using dewalts multi-bin containers with the clear lid but when you lock them together you have to handle each separately to get to the container you want, which is a PITA. I'd just like for them to do a happy balance of both and so a clear lid top on a container that can be stacked and removed individually like the tough boxes do. I'm mobile just like he is so throwing a rack in my trailer would be great for my nuts and bolts as well as trade boxes. Maybe I'll build shelving to accept the bin boxes with a separate shelf for each box so I can just slide it out and see everything quickly and efficiently...just wish they had deeper options.

Choices choices... 

Oh damn, turns out they have a clear T-Stack but it's still more shallow than I'd like. Apparently around 3-1/2", wish it were more like 6"-8". Still I might have to start going through my contents to see what exactly I have that would not fit.

Things are expensive but I'd imagine worth it. I'd probably need 6 of them for screws, nuts and bolts, random fasteners, plumbing, electrical, and an extra for whatever, and probably brackets so I'd be around $350-$400 not counting whatever framework I'd need to wall mount. That's a serious pill to swallow. 

I see. I mean it makes sense to do it categorically more than actual tool wise I guess, but not being able to have a window of sight into the contents of each box would be a deal breaker for me I think. I'd probably forget half of what I had and not remember half of what I'd forgotten to resupply. 

Do you carry on site or use the cart?

Since you're mentioning "consumables," maybe you could consider some sort of modification to the box or to your day to day, to suite your needs....

Some quick ideas that come to mind:

Dedicated box with consumable products

Cutting in a fiberglass window to a few boxes.

Some sort of marking system, chalk paint on the box? Dry erase?

21 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

T-Stack? T-Stacks are nice. But the only method to store them I have come up with is stacking or build individual shelves for them.

I meant tough system, sorry. I wouldn't bother with T-Stak as I think the Tough System is superior mostly because of the modular supports. 

This is the specific one I'd consider: 

http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DWST08202-System-Bucket-Organizer/dp/B016N9CBIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461374509&sr=8-1&keywords=tough+system+organizer

This is how I'd configure them as shown below. I'm guessing all I need is to mount 2 vertical rails to the side of my trailer. Wonder if I could use 1" square aluminum instead of steel for lighter weight and easier drilling and no need for welding? Too weak? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_RJEKjFfB8XZjI0V1g0c0RodFk/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2