Makita or Bosch?

Conductor562

Alright guys, the time to purchase a new 1/4 sheet palm sander has arrived. Seeing how the Festool model is almost $600, I've narrowed it down to the Makita BO4556 or the Bosch 1297DK. I'm leaning toward the Makita because my local HD carries it and I can actually see and hold it. However, I'm looking for your input. Both are 2 amp motors and spec out pretty much the same. The Bosch is a few bucks more but I'm not concerned with that. Anyone got any experience with either? I certainly don't want another paper weight like my Milwaukee 6020.

I also checked out the Ridgid ZRR2501. It's 2.4 amps but it has a funky looking paper clamp system similar to the P.O.S. Milwaukee so it's a definite no go. Someone really needs to turn TTI on to a less shitty paper clamping method.

Just got home from HD. I bought the Makita. It'll be a couple days before I get to use it, buts very comfortable to hold. I checked out the Dewalt too, but the Makita felt nicer in my hand and weighed a bit less. When I do find myself sanding it's usually for extended periods so weight and comfort were definite deal makers. I'll report back after I get to use it.

Just got home from HD. I bought the Makita. It'll be a couple days before I get to use it, buts very comfortable to hold. I checked out the Dewalt too, but the Makita felt nicer in my hand and weighed a bit less. When I do find myself sanding it's usually for extended periods so weight and comfort were definite deal makers. I'll report back after I get to use it.

You do have a ROS as well don't you? I find the take considerably less time.

Oh, Random Orbital Sander, duh. I was thinking you were talking about a retail store. They do the job a lot faster, but for final sanding on my primitive projects it's easy to sand to deep to quick. It would be better for initial sanding but I just make do.

Got to use the new sander today. Spent about an hour and a half sanding wood and drywall and I have to say I'm satisfied with my purchase. It's very comfortable to use and the vibration is next to nothing. The dust collection system works better than the Dewalt or Milwaukee models I've used previously. It was worth every penny of the $50 I gave for it.

Got to use the new sander today. Spent about an hour and a half sanding wood and drywall and I have to say I'm satisfied with my purchase. It's very comfortable to use and the vibration is next to nothing. The dust collection system works better than the Dewalt or Milwaukee models I've used previously. It was worth every penny of the $50 I gave for it.

Did you try it with a vacuum or did you just use the on board dust collection? How well does it hold the sandpaper and how many sheets can it hold?

As for dust collection, I just used the supplied bag. With the others I've used there would be next to nothing in the bag. This one was about half way full. It holds the paper using a traditional wire style clamp with very comfortable padded tabs. I only ever put 1 sheet at a time on it if that's what you mean. I can see it making sense to use 2 though.

As for dust collection, I just used the supplied bag. With the others I've used there would be next to nothing in the bag. This one was about half way full. It holds the paper using a traditional wire style clamp with very comfortable padded tabs. I only ever put 1 sheet at a time on it if that's what you mean. I can see it making sense to use 2 though.

I can only squeeze three sheets in my Speed-bloc when I use that and my little P-C with wire clamps I can squeeze five sheets in if I really work at it but I usually just put four sheets in. Saves a lot of time in the end for those long sanding projects, even more so if your up a ladder.

I have become really fond of 3Ms sandpaper these days.