Walking around Home Depot ?

SevenOddosFence

Do You guys ever feel funny walking around Home Depot like we are doing something wrong ? I feel like i'm always being watched...lol....I had a old lady cashier say to me the other day that she sees me walk in and out of her store multiple times without buying anything and asked why ? I said i'm always looking for tool deals. She then says thats what weekly fliers are for and I explained that when tools get clearanced they dont get put in fliers. They get clearanced and place on a shelf and its 1st come 1st served. Half the times I have to bring it to a HD employess attention that something up on the shelf is a certain price. 

• Like 6

Menard's always gets me for something. It's a 45 min drive and they have everything so I always feel compelled to buy something. Lowes is 10 min from my house and I can remember a couple times leaving there without buying anything. HD is about 35 min away so I usually only go there for a specific purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I go to my HD everyday at lunch unless I'm out of town at a meeting. It is right across from my office building. They used to give me funny looks, but now they all know me by name. It's kind of fun when you miss a day then the next time you go in they ask where you have been. I think they realize there are just people like us that love tools. Even if we aren't buying anything we just enjoy looking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, kruton said:

I go to my HD everyday at lunch unless I'm out of town at a meeting. It is right across from my office building. They used to give me funny looks, but now they all know me by name. It's kind of fun when you miss a day then the next time you go in they ask where you have been. I think they realize there are just people like us that love tools. Even if we aren't buying anything we just enjoy looking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I think all of us tool nuts love looking at tools if we can't buy any. 

• Like 3

I agree that HD staff are way more "aggressive" than Lowes. Not in a bad way, they just seem to be everywhere and everyone asks if you need help.  Lowes on the other hand, I rarely get asked if I need help and we have a few employees that I have refused help from. I tried to be nice about it, but I know their plumbing and lumber sections better than most of the employees.

Bigmikez you can appreciate this one, I am 6' 4" and after losing 30 lbs as of last week I am down to 345 lbs (45 more to go).  I was looking at ladders last fall when the sales kid at Lowes kept trying to talk me into the cheapest 6' ladder they sell over the 300 lbs rated one since it was on sale. Now I feel fine on a 300 and I use them all the time at work, but the 225 lbs ladders no way! It just goes to show how little some of their employees really know about their products.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dano123 said:

I agree that HD staff are way more "aggressive" than Lowes. Not in a bad way, they just seem to be everywhere and everyone asks if you need help.  Lowes on the other hand, I rarely get asked if I need help and we have a few employees that I have refused help from. I tried to be nice about it, but I know their plumbing and lumber sections better than most of the employees.

Bigmikez you can appreciate this one, I am 6' 4" and after losing 30 lbs as of last week I am down to 345 lbs (45 more to go).  I was looking at ladders last fall when the sales kid at Lowes kept trying to talk me into the cheapest 6' ladder they sell over the 300 lbs rated one since it was on sale. Now I feel fine on a 300 and I use them all the time at work, but the 225 lbs ladders no way! It just goes to show how little some of their employees really know about their products.

I love the service at HD, a lot of times I can actually have an adult conversation about tools with them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dano123 said:

Congrats bro and keep it up man I've been telling myself to get back in shape but freakin life just gets in the way ?? and yea I know how it feels to run into the very few that don't know where there own items are kept at HD lol!

• Like 2

Do your guys home depots have the multiple security cameras per aisle that beep and show you on a screen that's divided with video of the guy watching the monitors every time you pass them. They are really annoying and ensure you know you are being watched?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bigmikez said:

Congrats bro and keep it up man I've been telling myself to get back in shape but freakin life just gets in the way ?? and yea I know how it feels to run into the very few that don't know where there own items are kept at HD lol!

Thanks buddy.  The older I get the harder it is to lose so I (my wife...) figured I better put some effort in now. I will be 34 this year so I guess its about time to get back "in shape".  

I had interviews for part time at both Lowes and HD, but I refused to work Saturdays so it didn't work out.  I was looking for a hobby during the winter more than a second job so I had the luxury of being picky.  I know I would have been better than most though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmikez said:

Make small changes like instead of soda, drink water and lots of it. Later exchange a meal for a healthy smoothy.

I was gaining weight since I stopped playing hockey and haven't been able to go to the gym. I drink about a gallon of water a day and I have a soda at dinner. I have a smoothy for breakfast, a Nature Valley bar(which is delicious) for lunch then I eat whatever I want for dinner. The water speeds up the metabolism and keeps you from feeling hungry. I swear it seems to be helping my allergies too. I've lost all the weight(and then some) I put on when I stopped being able to play hockey and work out, in about two months. I think the "and then some" is muscle mass.

Try the water thing and cutting back on soda or coffee or whatever empty calories, when you start seeing results you'll want to add another thing to keep seeing results. The best part is that you can lose or maintain weight and have every day be a "cheat" day with one meal. I truly feel the reason most diets fail is because it's a "cold turkey" lose all your favorite foods/drinks thing. If you're maintaining your weight at your current habits, change one meal and you're going to go down in weight.

I've also had luck in the past with adding healthy snacks to your day, but it was annoying to me to maintain eating 5 times a day. I also like my current eating habits because it's a lot less time involved. A smoothy takes no time to drink and the fruit and nut bar is quicker than it takes to get to the drive thru, let alone ordering, waiting, fighting traffic, etc...and it's cheaper, so I have more money for tools!

• Like 4

I started with the 21 day fix container diet with my wife around new years and just kept doing it to an extent since.  She makes healthy meals on Sunday and during the week I eat so many servings (containers) of fruits, veggies, proteins, carbs, etc and no pop.  It is actually way more food than I used to eat, just healthier. Plus I work 3rd shift so my meals are at different times so this helps me be able to eat a lunch while she eats her dinner and we can still eat together. It is a lot of work for her planning the meals, cooking and packaging everything, but she has a routine now. I feel great which leads me to do more, like clean my garage and other misc things around the house even though its still cold out.  Once the warmer weather gets here I will be much busier.  Good luck

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Do your guys home depots have the multiple security cameras per aisle that beep and show you on a screen that's divided with video of the guy watching the monitors every time you pass them. They are really annoying and ensure you know you are being watched?

Honestly , those have made me walk out before. Im trying to concentrate and read a box and it keeps going off. I dont like those at all.

They have those systems where I am in stores that are in bad areas which most likely have a lot of theft. The stores in suburbs and more well to do areas don't have them at all. It does get annoying but if you are an employee, you hear that non stop every day and don't even pay attention. In fact I have found that there are usualy less employees in that isle where there is the security as they probably don't want to listen to the noise 8 hours a day.

They have those systems where I am in stores that are in bad areas which most likely have a lot of theft. The stores in suburbs and more well to do areas don't have them at all. It does get annoying but if you are an employee, you hear that non stop every day and don't even pay attention. In fact I have found that there are usualy less employees in that isle where there is the security as they probably don't want to listen to the noise 8 hours a day.

They have them in every aisle. I guess they were losing something like 4500 a month to the tweakers.

15 hours ago, SevenOddosFence said:

Do You guys ever feel funny walking around Home Depot like we are doing something wrong ? I feel like i'm always being watched...lol....I had a old lady cashier say to me the other day that she sees me walk in and out of her store multiple times without buying anything and asked why ? I said i'm always looking for tool deals. She then says thats what weekly fliers are for and I explained that when tools get clearanced they dont get put in fliers. They get clearanced and place on a shelf and its 1st come 1st served. Half the times I have to bring it to a HD employess attention that something up on the shelf is a certain price. 

Great post bro,I do this all the time. I usually at least walk out with some screws or something else I just couldnt resist that day. Pretty much any place that sells tools I do this on a regular basis. My kids even enjoy it when we go to HD.

My regular HD i go to has those cameras spread out around various places,im guessing five finger discounts happen often with pocketable stuff like plumbing and other small items.

• Like 2

Just now, KnarlyCarl said:

I WISH I had a home depot near me to walk around in

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

LOL I can walk across the street from my apartment, and enter the doors of a Lowe's. if I walk another 100 yards I am in a super Walmart, and another 100-200 yards after that I am in a Home Depot. One driveway connects them all. I'm too lazy though to do anything but take my car to any one of them.

• Like 3