Saw blades- Sharpen or Replace???

Dano123

Ok here is a question I have had for a while now.  I have a 10" miter and 10" table saw that I use frequently, but not daily. Does anyone sharpen their own blades, have them professionally sharpened or do you just pitch them when they get dull?  

• Like 1

Depending on how you use the saw sharpening might not even be an option.  If you hit nails or other debris with any frequency while cutting, the teeth will chip or fall out before they dull and there's no point to resharpening.  I'm not particularly good about this (don't bother changing blades before demo work) so blades just get replaced.

I only cut clean lumber with these saws, but I use a lot of treated lumber. I haven't priced professional sharpening yet, but we have a place near by that does it. My main thing is I would consider a more expensive blade if I could resharpen it a couple times for less than the cost of a new blade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

hemdale nailed it for the most part. How much did the blades cost you? A good 10" table saw blade can easily run $60-$100. Unless you hit something and broke a couple teeth off, I would send it/them out to be sharpened. (do it in multiples to save $$) Now if you bought the $20 blade to cut 2x4 pine for framing, then pitch it and get a new one.

I wouldn't try to sharpen carbide blate tips myself. Let a company with the proper equipment sharpen the blades with the correct angles.

• Like 1

the real question starts at the beginning how much do you spend on a blade? a typical 10" finishing blade can run anywhere from $25 to right up to $225

Diablo is usually the best bang for your buck in around the $60-$90 mark..... getting it resharpened even 3 times will give you a total of $140 and that is like buying 4 blades @ $60-$90 so you do the math.....

What will you be cutting?

some times a blade is dull because of resin build up, this can be helped by soaking the blade in vinegar to break down the resin over night, remember resins harden like concrete and coats the carbides which dulls the cutter.

most pro sharpening shops will charge around $11- $15 per blade.

for example most diablo blades can be sharpened up to 6 times

some other better brands even more, Forrest for example

If you know you are cutting new wood then spend the money on a good blade and get it sharpened a few times

if you know you will be cutting unknown wood all the time then get a cheap blade and replace

if you might cut both new wood and unknown wood then get a cheap blade and a good blade

a blade can still be used even if a tooth or two are missing.....

here is an example of a cheap blade versus a good blade notice the difference in the cutters....

WWIIvsIrwin.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dano123 said:

Ok here is a question I have had for a while now.  I have a 10" miter and 10" table saw that I use frequently, but not daily. Does anyone sharpen their own blades, have them professionally sharpened or do you just pitch them when they get dull?  

It all comes down to cost.  I have always replaced my blades since I tend to spend on the lower end for my blades.  It doesn't cost much to have them resharpened, but for me, it is just easier to replace my blades when they start cutting poorly.  

I tend to spend between $40 and $50 for my 10" blades and around $65 for my 12" blades.  They both last me about 2 years before I switch them out.  Now, if I were to buy a Forrester, it would cost around $100 and I would not want to throw that one out. I would get that one resharpened.

My uses are typically woodshop related with clean wood, so I never hit nails or foreign object.  Just plain old use, so that is why I can last so long on a blade.

• Like 2

I alway like to buy a new blade. Who doesn't love to go to HD, Lowes, wherever, and actually have a reason to buy something not just "because we want it". I usually buy only Diablo blades for my saws. (circular, table, miter, recip). The only blade Diablo doesn't make are bandsaw blades.:D

7 hours ago, Dano123 said:

Professionally sharpened. Ise use Festool blades as I'm set up for them and Forrest. Awesome blades from Forrest! They have a sharpening service too, make sure you keep your blade boxes.

https://www.forrestblades.com/#/home

• Like 3

Well I want to play Frisbee with Jimbo now, I heard as long as we wear gloves it's perfectly safe.

As far as the blades go, I bought a $40 Dewalt combo pack with 2 10" blades from Lowes last year. Considering I used the included blade from my Harbor Freight miter saw for several years including my patio construction I am sure the Dewalts will hold up better. The guy I "inherited" all of my old Craftsman tools from, who is 82, is the one telling me to have my blades sharpened. I feel like they are disposable at that price, but I would like to try better brands like Diablo, etc (not Festool Chris, I have purchased several vehicles for less than their miter saw costs!) blades when these go bad or I see a good deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Usually i use them as a quick frisbee... DONT CALL THE SAFETY WEINERS I KNOW!!!!! 

Lol, I rember the first time I saw my dad throw one like a frisbee to my uncle on the roof who was changing the blade. I don't think I've ever felt more fear and respect at the same time at any other point in my life.

Testing one two, seems I can post again. I posted a picture lastnight of two blades showing the difference in carbide tooth size to back up my post stating I wouldn't be bothered sharpening the dewalt but I would with the faba as it's a lot better quality 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turner85 said:

Testing one two, seems I can post again. I posted a picture lastnight of two blades showing the difference in carbide tooth size to back up my post stating I wouldn't be bothered sharpening the dewalt but I would with the faba as it's a lot better quality 

I agree my local shop would say if it was worth it or not before hand too.....but then again I only have quality blades getting sharpened

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stercorarius said:

Do shops usually charge by the tooth count, by blade diameter, both, or a flat rate?

the shop I go to goes by dia. flat rate but it could be anything elsewhere

I've noticed that an excellent blade could last up to 5 times longer vs a cheap blade.

An excellent blade is not 5 times more expensive than a cheap blade.

Sharpening would also mean than you have a blade being sharpened while you are using the other. Than implies a larger number if blades to allow this rotation.

• Like 3

I've noticed that an excellent blade could last up to 5 times longer vs a cheap blade.

An excellent blade is not 5 times more expensive than a cheap blade.

Sharpening would also mean than you have a blade being sharpened while you are using the other. Than implies a larger number if blades to allow this rotation.

Very true and they make your saw last longer as well because it's less stress on the motor than a dull blade

• Like 1