Saw blades- Sharpen or Replace???

Dano123

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my set of hole saws and a larger single back.... These are Lenox hole saws, my favorite, and it cost $29 to sharpen the 6 piece kit plus the single 4-1/2" holesaw. Originally $80 for the kit and $37 for the larger single one

20160423_052344

20160423_052339

-

The only possible problem is that when they sharpened them, they ground off the hook that Lenox comes with, i sure hope it doesn't diminish the performance, but that really took me back, I think that's one of the reasons they work so well, i'm going to be upset if they don't work like new... i have a new set to use when these went in to get sharpened and I will find out if they really make a difference. Although another problem is the kerf that might be lessened because the teeth are worn on the sides, giving me less clearance between the holesaw and the hole i'm cutting. I don't see any indication of adjustments to the teeth, although I'm sure the metal is too hard to bend them any further, and sharpening removes more material on the very tip, making that space even more narrow.

Basically every other tooth is bent outwards and the other teeth are bent inwards to create space for the incoming body of the holesaw as it enters the cut, on carbide blades, this is accomplished by the carbide teeth, they are wider than the blade. WIth these hole saws, cutting more material off the tips to sharpen each tooth brings the tooth down closer to the body of the holesaw, leaving less room for the body of the holesaw to turn in the wood, because of build up of saw dust causing friction and resistance... Well mabe my next set will be carbide tipped holesaws!

Here's what they look like new, notice the hook on each tooth

0800_lenox_bi_metal_hole_saw_main_14.jpg

A little unknown secret. Home Depot will replace a Diablo blade for FREE. Most Diablo blades say "Lifetime Guarantee" on the blade and or package. If you keep your receipts and packaging, simple exchange.

Could be worth buying another if you don't have pkg or receipt and "trade" them out then you have two.

• 2 months later...