What kind of chisels should I get?

Rutter

My 2 cents:

- Pfeil chisels are very good and rather easy to sharpen. I'm not a huge fan of their handles though.

- Veritas Butt chisels ( PM-V11 steel): pricey but not crazy pricey. Edge retention is stunning. Excellent quality value. Amazing wood handles.

In a more "contractor" environment: the latest Hultafors chisels are built like a tank, razor sharp but probably not for delicate work.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I am looking to get a new set of chisels because one of my cheap chisels has disappeared. What kind of Chisels should i get? Keep in mind I don't want to spend to much money.

Just go with a cheap set if you know how to sharpen stuff. Like with a water stone or dimond stones. If not get the Stanley ones. Best for price for durable and sharpness out of the box.

Millerz

Need more info. What are you using them for, and how often do you use them? I have two sets of chisels. One has some heavy duty plastic handles that you can smack with a hammer and I use these at work for doing stuff on wooden doors like fitting hinges or latches. I also have a nice set of Two Cherries chisels that I would use for woodworking projects at home, but not actual home type projects.

9 hours ago, Millerzconstruction said:

Just go with a cheap set if you know how to sharpen stuff. Like with a water stone or dimond stones. If not get the Stanley ones. Best for price for durable and sharpness out of the box.

Millerz

I wish it were that simple.  There are really three things you pay for in a chisel, the handle, the grind, and the steel.  The third is really the only important part, and you can find cheap chisels with good steel, but there are some that are so bad they won't take or hold an edge no matter what.

I'm sure someone here can recommend cheap chisels with good steel.

On 4/8/2016 at 4:58 PM, Rutter said:

I am looking to get a new set of chisels because one of my cheap chisels has disappeared. What kind of Chisels should i get? Keep in mind I don't want to spend to much money.

jimbo gave you two excellent choices, i know this because i have both. the baileys are more money and come with a leather pouch, i use these only for real fine work. i use the fatmax [which are excellent for the money] to 'rough' in work when i need to really pound on the handle. they cost enough though to where you dont really want to abuse them too much. if you want a demo chisel, check out the dewalt, i have a set of these, they run around 10 bucks each, and i really abuse these

• Like 1

jimbo gave you two excellent choices, i know this because i have both. the baileys are more money and come with a leather pouch, i use these only for real fine work. i use the fatmax [which are excellent for the money] to 'rough' in work when i need to really pound on the handle. they cost enough though to where you dont really want to abuse them too much. if you want a demo chisel, check out the dewalt, i have a set of these, they run around 10 bucks each, and i really abuse these

I have a Dewalt side struck chisel and the factory edge is so sharp I slit the side of my hand open when it was sitting there out of sight.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I have a Dewalt side struck chisel and the factory edge is so sharp I slit the side of my hand open when it was sitting there out of sight.

i know, i love mine, ive actually used a 3lb sledge when i had to chisel a joist or stud to make room for something.

He just might be inquiring about cold chisels.

Menards has Wilde (USA) on sale. And if you aint got a store close, they do ship.

or............. call Epsteins.

They both carry wood and cold chisels, among others.

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=wilde+chisel

http://www.harryepstein.com/

I always sharpen a new chisel straight out of the package. They are never as sharp as they can be from the factory. The normal chisel from the hardware stores any way. Never had the money for the high dollar ones. Lol. And I could probley get them sharper too. I shapen stuff on the side. And like a hobie I guess.

Millerz

I always sharpen a new chisel straight out of the package. They are never as sharp as they can be from the factory. The normal chisel from the hardware stores any way. Never had the money for the high dollar ones. Lol. And I could probley get them sharper too. I shapen stuff on the side. And like a hobie I guess.

Millerz

Except that damn Dewalt side strike! Chisel 3,Jimbos hand, bloody!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

275df75b459de28fc1f5a2b52c08e67c.jpg

Yea dude it's a great durable chisel that you can really whale on and it still holds an edge. Having the side of the blade with an edge is awesome to have.

What do U use the side blade 4?