Good day for some BBQ

MikeInCtown

Stopped at Costco the other day and grabbed a Prime brisket for $2.99 a pound. Figured as miserable as it is here in Cleveland today I'd toss it on the smoker and be productive with my day at home.

All the necessary supplies to get started. Using Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub.

26257097901_25e3230ce2_c.jpg2016-04-09_06-21-37 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

All trimmed up and ready for some rub!

25718480214_b558964373_c.jpg2016-04-09_06-21-23 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Rub all on and ready to put in the smoker.

26050454360_8b19189edf_c.jpg2016-04-09_06-20-54 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Going on to the smoker. I can't have a wood fired one where I am, so I have a Smokin-It model #2. Fits briskets up to about 10 or 11 pounds without trimming. Went on at 6AM on the dot. Will probably go till 10am, maybe noon before I wrap it.

26050438850_1a46e58762_c.jpg2016-04-09_06-19-32 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

• Like 4

Delicious! Sucks not being able to have wood fire there, I love living in the country and having a fire whenever I want.

What's that smokin-it setup like? Is it gas fired and how's it work for you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Delicious! Sucks not being able to have wood fire there, I love living in the country and having a fire whenever I want.

What's that smokin-it setup like? Is it gas fired and how's it work for you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I live in an apartment building so I can't have anything on my balcony with fire, like a grill. Well technically they also say you can't cook anywhere but the kitchen, but looking at the thing, it's just a small metal box.

The smoker is electric and at the bottom is a sort of fire box. At the bottom of the box is an electric element like they use on the small water heaters. In fact it is the same one they use on the 5-10 gallon heaters. Just above that is a slide in metal box which holds the wood chunks. The element heats up and holds the smoker at temperature and when it does, the wood smolders. It doesn't ever catch on fire though because the airflow is controlled by a small hole in the bottom of the unit. At the top you get the smoke and steam. It is the same principal as a regular smoker except the charcoal or wood is replaced by an electric heating element. It works surprisingly well and imparts some really good flavor, which you wouldn't think as being capable by electric.

The downside is that it really can only cook up to about 270* because of the thermostat on it. They do sell add on controllers, but I'm not spending that $300 right now. I'd really like to be able to cook at 300-325 on it, but the current temps will do. Just takes a whole lot longer.