Makita BO6040

abrasive

Hi guys, just bought a makita b06040 (delivered today) for actually sanding wood not polishing cars :) 

So i started striping some old polyester finish and in a couple of seconds there was a huge cloud of dust in my building, it was connected to a very fine nilfisk industrial vacuum and i was using 15 hole sandpaper that fitted the backing pad just fine...i couldn't believe the amount of dust that it did. I've removed the pad to inspect and did find that the rubber seal didn't touch the pad at all there is almost an 1/8 inch gap?! Is my unit defective or is this an issue with all these sanders?

Welcome to the forum Marco! I have not used the Makita but have several sanders in my shop. All of the interface pads have a space for the pad to oscillate and move about so I don't think that is the problem. I run dust collection on all of my sanders but I use a designated DC unit with them. You might want to try a wet sand with the poly or a different grit paper. Additionally depending on the paper you use, that may actually be the problem. What brand of paper do you use and what grit are you using? Also, at what speed are you using the machine at? From what I understand, the Makita is a really good machine with variable speed.

• Like 1

Thank you Chris! I actually do woodworking for a living and have 5 festool ets plus a metabo duo and a dewalt and all of them have that rubber seal touching the pad. I think that if it doesn't touch the pad all the vacuum power goes to waste, i can hear all the air rushing in that gap and very little on the actually holes. I was just stripping primer with a 80 grit indasa disk. 

se_ets150_571542_a_09a_6e368894-8363-474

Now that sucks! I've got the RS125 and the RO90 plus the Bosch ROS65. The picture looks like the interface is no in contact with the machine itself now I know what your talking about. That machine is supposed to be a great sander, too bad. I have never heard of air going through that area so I am guessing you might have gotten a bum machine! Not much help but my Bosch is truly a wonderful machine and has found a home amongst it's blue and grey neighbors so maybe for you.....;)

Not really, i can't return it because i bought it in the UK and i live in continental Europe. I don't really understand what the problem is...I've tried other backing pads that i have here and it's the same fit as a festool but the different offset makes the gap wider.  

Only good thing about it is that i bought mainly ,it to replace my rotary polisher so it wont become just a huge paperweight

Hello, are the sanding paper holes in same position as holes on the pad? They must be in same places because it`s a way for dust to go to vacuum cleaner. Turn vacuum cleaner on when connected to tool and touch tool pad with hand ( sander turn`d of) you must feel some vacuum.