Tool ideas

Conductor562

I've already posted my answer to this question under another thread - something about "Are tool manufacturers stupid or what?"

My response, however, is that I'd like to see 1.) a drill press designed for woodworking, and 2.) a reasonably priced 8" helical bench jointer. Reasons and details are as cited in my previous post.  

I want one of those systems that shrinks or expands things from the movie "Honey I shrunk the kids". Think of all the material savings. You could turn little scraps into full sheets of lumber and when your done with your project you could condense your entire shop to fit in a drawer.

I want one of those systems that shrinks or expands things from the movie "Honey I shrunk the kids". Think of all the material savings. You could turn little scraps into full sheets of lumber and when your done with your project you could condense your entire shop to fit in a drawer.

That would work just great 'till you took the shop out of the drawer and as you restored it to full size the tiny splinter in your finger grew to the size of a 2x4.

That would work just great 'till you took the shop out of the drawer and as you restored it to full size the tine splinter in your finger grew to the size of a 2x4.

:lol: God help you if you had a metal shaving or something.

I'd like to see a band saw with an adjustable height work table.

Once you have a drill press installed with the head assembly situated at the best-for-you working height, you can easily raise or lower the work table to accommodate different stock thicknesses and drill bit lengths.

Not so with the band saw. With the band saw all you can do is raise or lower the upper guide bearing assembly. If the band saw's work table is set at the "best-for-you" height for ripping, cross cutting, or free handing sheet stock (3/4" or less) and one day you want to resaw some 8 or 10 inch lumber you either need to lower the saw OR stand on your tool box to get at least 6 inches taller to be closer to the optimum hand/eye height to control the cut.

With an adjustable height work table the initial set up of the entire saw could be a bit closer to the floor. The operator could use a relatively high table set up for flat cutting sheet stock and all you'd have to reset for resaw work is lower the table roughly three quarters of the height of the taller lumber and raise the upper guide set a bit.

Hey Jet, Rikon, Steel City, and Powermatic - are you listening? 

Added 22 April, 2014

Worthy of mention is that neither the upper nor guide bearing assemblies alter the path of the blade.  Those assemblies exist only to prevent the 'normal' blade path from being distorted unrealistically by sudden or unorthodox movement  of the work piece being sawn. Therefore, if it is necessary to move one of those guides closer to or further from the other, why not leave the upper one stationary and move the lower guide bearing assembly up and down with the work table?

Most of that is possibly due to set up. Google & watch the You Tube video "Bandsaw Clinic with Alex Snodgrass" and you'll see what I mean. He really crams a lot into this 35 min. demo.

Thanks, I may check that out. I've got a benchtop Delta, just can't cut a straight line to save my life. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The tool, or perhaps family of tools, I really like to see is a power nail puller.

There are an infinite number of different gage and purpose pneumatic (air) nail guns from 23 ga pin nailers all the way up to the big boy - framing, roofing, and flooring nailers.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a comparable set of nail puller guns that would accept different 'heads' for different nail types. So, all you'd have to do is cover the nail head with the tip of the tool and pull the trigger. The tool would capture the head, pull the nail, and toss it into an onboard catch tank that would hold the extracted junk with an internal magnet.  When the puller got heavy (loaded with extracted nails) just detach the catch tank, rotate (neutralize) the magnet to empty the tank, reinstall the tank, and go pull more nails.

Wouldn't that be a whole lot easier, quicker, and neater than ripping boards apart, beating bent nails backwards, wrestling them out one at a time with a prybar, then stepping on them for the rest of the day.

I have to acknowledge that it would take some clever engineering but what the hell good is Yankee ingenuity if we don't put it to work?

• Like 1