One key drill, how does it work?

BababooeyHTJ

The APP for your phone pretty much can make any adjustment you want to the drill, there is a lot of settings you can adjust. But if you asked me, its not really worth the extra cost you pay for the tool, unless, you have specific needs to adjust said torque.

Are you really adjusting torque? Or just max torque?

Take the second speed of a dcd995, 1250rpm iirc. Obviously seeing how its achieved by a gear ratio its going to have a good bit more torque than the high speed. That does not appear to be possible on the one key drill.

It looks like it only adjusts max speed and torque which I can already so via a variable speed trigger and/or clutch. At least precisely enough for my needs. So I completely agree with you there.

I want to see a legit 3 speed drill from Milwaukee. It's what's keeping me with dewalts 18v platform

Are you really adjusting torque? Or just max torque?

Take the second speed of a dcd995, 1250rpm iirc. Obviously seeing how its achieved by a gear ratio its going to have a good bit more torque than the high speed. That does not appear to be possible on the one key drill.

It looks like it only adjusts max speed and torque which I can already so via a variable speed trigger and/or clutch. At least precisely enough for my needs. So I completely agree with you there.

I want to see a legit 3 speed drill from Milwaukee. It's what's keeping me with dewalts 18v platform

Check out Dan and Eric's one key video they lay it all out

• Like 1

Easy explanation. You control speed and torque of both the high and low (1 and 2) settings on the drill.

the drills have 3-4 modes. Youhave drill mode, drive mode which utilizes the adjustable clutch, Hammer drill mode if so equipped, and the the One Key mode. Rather than the adjustable clutch, the one key mode allows use of a sort of electronic clutch. There is also a feature where you can have the drill cut off if it twists fast enough. Say a fastener grabs and twists the drill really fast in tyour hands, the drill would cut off rather than rip it out of your hands.

I think the feature is best served on the drill for hole saws and other large bits where you may have a maximum given RPM. So for example you are on a job making 1" holes for electrical wiring, and the bit calls for a max speed of 1500, but the drill in mode 2 can do 1900, you can dial in a max rpm of 1500 and never worry about exceeding the max suggested RPM. Your bits will last longer and you have less chance of damaging the drill or your wrists.

On 4/18/2016 at 2:20 PM, DR99 said:

One-Key isn't nearly as usefull on drills compared to the impact driver and wrench.

I imagine the software has just started to get a traction, and can expand to many dozens of other features in the future, for both drill and impacts, i'm attracted to it i admit!

It is cool, I'm excited to see if Milwaukee comes out with more in one key and if they expand the customizability. What if you could make the drill pulse like the metabo.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah not out of the question. Or play Milwaukee theme song by matching rpm to the notes of the song ha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think one key on a sawzall would be cool also you could program a ramp up for cutting instead of the feathering of the trigger we do now. I don't see a huge need on a circular saw yet though anyone have any ideas for one key features on that?

I think one key on a sawzall would be cool also you could program a ramp up for cutting instead of the feathering of the trigger we do now. I don't see a huge need on a circular saw yet though anyone have any ideas for one key features on that?

Maybe just programmable speeds for cutting different materials.

• Like 1

Very gimmicky.

If a drill has 3 or 4 speeds, the motor works about the same and gearing does the work.

Messing around with voltage or rpms to achieve the same thing is not smart. The tool could be subjected to unnecessary punishment. Higher current draw and higher heat to say the least.

Seems like a great way for people to burn up a tool.

6 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

Very gimmicky.

If a drill has 3 or 4 speeds, the motor works about the same and gearing does the work.

Messing around with voltage or rpms to achieve the same thing is not smart. The tool could be subjected to unnecessary punishment. Higher current draw and higher heat to say the least.

If a companies only hope to stay alive is by selling products, the last thing they will do is design products to lasts longer and longer. Is One-key the answer to power tool power settings, I think no, I think it is just a marketing thing. They didn't come out with something new they came out with a new way to control what is there already. Is it needed, I think they want you to think it is but we have had power tools around for quite some time that worked great before this and will probably work great for some time to come. If this software can do all these things via bluetooth including tell you where your tools is, that would only mean the software can tell Milwaukee how you are using your tool how often and where. They can have a data base based on what you are doing with your tools and eventually know more things than they need to know. Call me old fashion but like a computer, cookies can tell what you look at on the internet and curve the advertising based on your taste or habits.

I buy a tool and it's mine I don't need a company telling me to upgrade this or that so the tools works or not and with one-key this could happen. Some times not all things seem to be what they are, you may think all of this is so it lets you control the tool better but what is the real reason? this is not the only product this happens to, I just got a smart phone only a few months ago and was nagged for 3 weeks to install an important upgrade, so finally I did the upgrade and now my phone changed so much I don't like it, Can I change it back?............no there is no option for it. My point is it was my phone it worked but because the company thinks it needed an upgrade I eventually was bugged enough to do it and now the phone works they way they want it to not me the owner. I may sound out to lunch and how can this have anything to do with power tools.........well when you allow an outsider to decide what is best for you then this can happen whether you like it or not. This may all well be fine and so new that it is all great but I predict people bitching about one-key someday.....

I think one key is bourne from the fact that they already had to include electronics in the tools to handle the lithium batteries and brushless motors so Bluetooth was just an extension of that and the fact that these chips are getting so cheap it's almost insignificant cost wise. I think the tool tracking and battery stuff is useful and the speed/torque control maybe a little dubious but these things have a way of becoming more useful when they get in the hands of users and they figure out new and interesting ways to take advantage of it...

Very gimmicky.

You're only lowering voltage for speed control or using an electronic clutch to stop the drill when it senses a drop in voltage in the case of their torque control implementation.

It's still a two speed drill. Just has a max variable speed and a high torque cut off option.

I am an industrial maintenance tech heavy on electrical work from machine repair to facility wiring. I recently purchased the hammer drill/impact tool combo with one key because our company discount with Grainger made it the cheapest combo at the time. I love the one key on the impact, I use the presets for the type of job I am doing for the day. A good example, we were installing a prefab office with  1/4X3 tapcons, 2 different sheet metal screws and some 3" deck screws. Presets including ramp and final torque and I rarely had to use anything else all day. For the drill the main use is max speed. Love it and the price was right. Time will tell on the durability. I have converted to almost all impact duty metal drills, step bits, conduit reamers and hole saws, so far so good.

I am an industrial maintenance tech heavy on electrical work from machine repair to facility wiring. I recently purchased the hammer drill/impact tool combo with one key because our company discount with Grainger made it the cheapest combo at the time. I love the one key on the impact, I use the presets for the type of job I am doing for the day. A good example, we were installing a prefab office with  1/4X3 tapcons, 2 different sheet metal screws and some 3" deck screws. Presets including ramp and final torque and I rarely had to use anything else all day. For the drill the main use is max speed. Love it and the price was right. Time will tell on the durability. I have converted to almost all impact duty metal drills, step bits, conduit reamers and hole saws, so far so good.

Good info, I've been reading up on the experience of those with the onekey drills and Impacts and its been living up to the expectations for the most part. Not to discount any naysayers with good logical hesitation, but the proof of its usefulness will be in the hands of those using it.

Hey and welcome aboard!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, NYNick said:

I am considering getting the One Key Impact Driver not sure anymore after what I learned..check out my post

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/9949-milwaukee-holding-back-one-key-capabilities/

Regopit just got the one key impact driver