Ramset

Rutter

I just wanted to show you guys my new trigger activated Ramset I got a Home Depot today. I picked it up for 50 dollars plus the cost of the nails and the 22 shells. I will be us ring this to attach a header of a deck to a concrete slab. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Nice pick up Rutter, that's a nice tool. I noticed they sell Dewalt Powdered Actuated tools at Lowe's by me, if I didn't have a Hilti I would have given the Dewalt a shot..

let us know how it work for you  

I saw that lowes sold the dewalt. I looked at it but all the other guys told me to get Ramset. They really told me to buy more tap cons but I like the ramset better, because it is quicker. 

I feel like tap cons are a long process. The hammer drill. Then the impact. The Ramset is the pull of a trigger

That's because you've never used sds plus rotary hammer?

Ramset is nice, if you have wood to attach to concrete floor or walls. But too often I have to attach equipment to the foundation wall and PATs would never work because of the chance it would need to be moved during the process, I can just remove the tapcons and drill new holes. PAT would be so much quicker, no comparison, except that one downside of not being able to remove the nails easily.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It depends a lot on your point of view.

You're thinking is power actuated is a great alternative to tapcons and here I am thinking tapcons are a great alternative to wedge bolts, lag shields, and adhesive anchors.  Personally I stick with tapcons even for small stuff just for consistency.

Also I believe even the small tapcons have a higher pullout than powder actuated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

That's because you've never used sds plus rotary hammer?

Ramset is nice, if you have wood to attach to concrete floor or walls. But too often I have to attach equipment to the foundation wall and PATs would never work because of the chance it would need to be moved during the process, I can just remove the tapcons and drill new holes. PAT would be so much quicker, no comparison, except that one downside of not being able to remove the nails easily.

That is one thing about tap con I like better. It is super hard to remove the nail. I agree with you on that one. I do use a avt rotary hammer by makita and it is quick but I still like the Ramset better,  I guess it just more fun to me

That is one thing about tap con I like better. It is super hard to remove the nail. I agree with you on that one. I do use a avt rotary hammer by makita and it is quick but I still like the Ramset better,  I guess it just more fun to me

No you're right, it's very fun! I guess you can't have too many tools either! If I did more wood to concrete I would consider one, just not at the moment, although I could probably buy my dads set for cheap.... I should look into that I bet it hasn't been used for 15 years

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Excuse my ignorance but, what does a ramset do?

It uses a .22 or .28 blank to fire a fastener into cement.  Like your standard nailgun but a lot more powerful.  Don't worry though, they use a drive pin between the charge and nail like a normal nailgun so you can't just start shooting nails off like a gun and most have to be pressed into a hard surface to fire.

• Like 2

Thats an interesting tool, but also appears to be a dangerious one. I am glad that I have no jobs which requires the use of said tool lol

Are you kidding? Its the perfect excuse to using "firepower" in a legit tool! ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Thats an interesting tool, but also appears to be a dangerious one. I am glad that I have no jobs which requires the use of said tool lol

It's not dangerous at all as long as you follow the proper safety precautions, which is really just hearing protection although safety glasses are recommended for pretty much everything.  I think there's a higher rate of injuries with rotary hammers hitting rebar trying to install tapcons than anything related to powder actuated fasteners.  While I prefer tapcons, I still recommend trying powder actuated at least once to make your own decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I mean it is dangerous, only if the operator does somthing stupid. Other wise it is a pretty fun tool to use. I think it is safer than shooting my guns in my opinion. 

Are you kidding? Its the perfect excuse to using "firepower" in a legit tool! [emoji38]

It's safer than taking a shit, when you take a shit you could fall in or blow your ass out or something, plenty of people pass out and bang their head and die every year while straining... No joke!!!

• Like 2

Powder actuated guns are also really what you want to use when your attaching vapor barrier to block in crawl spaces. Tapcons would take way too long and you don't really have to worry about moving the plastic liner as its glued down with adhesive anyway.