Half way done ripping up the deck

Rutter

awesome, could I give you a suggestion, dig down 3 or 4" below framing and add crushed rock so the deck framing is not sitting in or on sand. Will give way better draining and give wood longer life.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, comp56 said:

awesome, could I give you a suggestion, dig down 3 or 4" below framing and add crushed rock so the deck framing is not sitting in or on sand. Will give way better draining and give wood longer life.

I am doing that. But thank you

1 hour ago, Poisonfangs85 said:

Nice project! And I second Comps suggestion. Is the whole area your Dock or just the one slip area?

It is actually 5 slips combined. My parents own all of them. Later I will build decks on my other docks that are separate from them. 

6 hours ago, Rutter said:

I am doing that. But thank you

Excellent, you were taught well.

Also, yes, I think we like seeing these projects and especially for me, I've never seen one alongside a dock up close like this. Would composite decking be more effective?

• Like 1

IMO, while gravel is good, the best way to go about keeping framing in good shape for a long time to come is to wrap the lumber with peel and seal waterproofing membrane. I do this for all of my decking. Save a lot of money in the short term by not having to buy gravel and labor of installing it or removing soil, and long term by reducing the need to rebuild the framing for a lifetime. 

• Like 2

IMO, while gravel is good, the best way to go about keeping framing in good shape for a long time to come is to wrap the lumber with peel and seal waterproofing membrane. I do this for all of my decking. Save a lot of money in the short term by not having to buy gravel and labor of installing it or removing soil, and long term by reducing the need to rebuild the framing for a lifetime. 

Careful with that, apparently Grace products can react with certain treated glulam beams...? This is weird ..

-

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk