disappointment

danielicrazy

While Makita IMO makes great stuff for the most part, I've always been underwhelmed by their ergonomics and prices. Don't like their grips at all. Their drills feel like alien tech in my hand, hard to explain. 

Batteries have been behind the times for a while, but then again they have some of the fastest charge times in the industry (which I absolutely RIP Dewalt for, ridiculous it takes twice as long to charge than competition).

So as you can see, for everything lackluster there's usually a silver lining. They produce a more extensive line than just about anyone else IMO, only the M12 competes with them when it comes to trade specific and oddball cordless tools. 

36 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

No problem Daniel. Their lineup is perhaps too extensive. Unfortunatly ' Makita lxt' doesnt always mean a prograde tool because they also have home owner tools in the cordless range.

like what?

Drill driver DDF453

Hammer drill DHP453

Rotary DHR165  ( somewhat more Semi pro.  for the better home owner or the not so intensive pro work )

Impact driver DTD142   ( somewhat more Semi pro.  for the better home owner or the not so intensive pro work )

And specifically the trimmer of the garden range daniel was tallking about:

DUH523  hedge trimmer

DUR181 Grass trimmer

All of those tools use the old type 'canister' motors. ( here and their brushed motor exception ) Not a fan of em personally. they're cheap but if the brushes inside are up  you can only replace the whole motor.  Not all customers wanna spend the time on that. Sometimes the motors are soldered to the wires. Even more of a hassle for the customer.  Replacing brushes is a 5 minute job costing a few euros.  Having to replace a whole motor costs alot more and takes more time. Time thats not always immediately available in a store  / for the customer.

These are also tools with not alot of options / less power / or brushes where a brushless version has been the norm for a few years now.

I personally wouldn't count these as 'Pro grade tools'.  Not suited for demanding and/or daily work :)

Yeah I  agree on the 453 and DTD142, they just look cheap and nasty compared to regular Makita LXT. Remind me of some cheap cordless Makita drill & impact that we had in bunnings, it wasn't even compatible with the rest of the LXT range...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to chime back to say that i'll be sticking with blue.  There was a pretty interesting trade in offer at a local tool store promoting milwaukee tools.  I went to my hd to check out the red. but had to admit that I prefered the makita grips.  Saw a review recently that pitted the cordless planers and makita did pretty good, so hopefully that is a good omen for the brushless recip saw that i'm still waiting on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

just wanted to chime back to say that i'll be sticking with blue.  There was a pretty interesting trade in offer at a local tool store promoting milwaukee tools.  I went to my hd to check out the red. but had to admit that I prefered the makita grips.  Saw a review recently that pitted the cordless planers and makita did pretty good, so hopefully that is a good omen for the brushless recip saw that i'm still waiting on. 

good choice!