New Dewalt 20V battery charger issue

eddie1976

Hi Folks, 

I just picked up a Dewalt drill/driver combo (DCK283D2, 20v brushless). After alot of research, I found that every one of the big names (Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc) have fan boys and haters. So, I went with what I see alot of the guys that do work for me use. 

I put the battery in the charger (for the first time) and the charger charged and then said it is full (solid red light). When I check the power level on the battery, only 2 of the 3 green LEDs light up. The book says this is a charge equal to 50-70% charge level. I called DeWalt and they eventually called back. The guy said that it should charge to 100% and to go get another unit from the retailer. I did and this one has the same thing. I doubt that I would end up with two units that are malfunctioning in the same way. 

Has anyone experienced this? This can't be normal. But, I can't be sure. This is my first "big boy" tool. 

Thanks

• Like 1

I would do what Tony said ...

give that a shot !

i have several batteries of different capacities and 3 different chargers (all DeWALT) and don't have any problems at all ...

welcome to the crew !!

1 hour ago, eddie1976 said:

Hi Folks, 

I just picked up a Dewalt drill/driver combo (DCK283D2, 20v brushless). After alot of research, I found that every one of the big names (Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc) have fan boys and haters. So, I went with what I see alot of the guys that do work for me use. 

I put the battery in the charger (for the first time) and the charger charged and then said it is full (solid red light). When I check the power level on the battery, only 2 of the 3 green LEDs light up. The book says this is a charge equal to 50-70% charge level. I called DeWalt and they eventually called back. The guy said that it should charge to 100% and to go get another unit from the retailer. I did and this one has the same thing. I doubt that I would end up with two units that are malfunctioning in the same way. 

Has anyone experienced this? This can't be normal. But, I can't be sure. This is my first "big boy" tool. 

Thanks

A coworker just had one of his refurbished chargers begin to do this. First we noticed his batteries were taking twice as long to charge as normal, then it started to do just as you state, the charger was convinced it was 100% but only 1 or 2 bars would light up. 

Your issue is likely the charger. Send it in for replacement. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the welcome and comments. HJ, I got a second combo kit and it does the same thing. I would hope DeWalt wouldn't be pumping out defective chargers. Although, I suppose a bad batch could have made it to market and I end up with two bad ones in a row. 

I have some work to do with the driver tomorrow, so maybe I can run down a battery and charge it to see what happens. 

Eddie

• Like 1

If you have more than one battery or one charger it's simple to test, just change one variable and if the battery charges you've found your problem. If it doesn't and you try a different battery and it does, you've found your problem. 

Batteries can defect for sure, but for it to refuse charge is something I've never heard of. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I bought a second combo kit (identical to what I have) and that did the same thing with my batteries AND the batteries that came with the second set. So, identical performance with 2 chargers and 4 batteries from two different combo sets. 

Welcome Eddie, yea I've never had that happen, that's a bummer man sounds like a bad batch of chargers, I'll it takes is one order of bad something to mess up 300 units...

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to guess it is a bad batch. Keep in mind that when you replaced it, if you got it from the same vendor it's probably from the same batch. I'd try someone else's charger, if the battery charges completely then you know it's the charger and you can send it off or return it to another store(if you bought from HD, exchange at a different location). If you still have an issue after exchange, send it off or buy something else.

I returned one of the combo kits to HD but kept the other (I needed to get some work done last night). Went to Lowe's and the guy there opened up a box for me. We plugged it in and put the battery on. The light blinked a few times, and went to steady red (indicating full charge). When I checked the power indicator on the battery, 2 out of the 3 green LEDs lit up, indicating it was between 50-70% fully charged. So, now I have checked 3 units and they are all acting the same way. 

I'm thinking I should return my set and go with another brand. I really would hate to do that, but I'm not sure what other recourse I have? The service center is an hour away from me, and of course, they are not open on the weekend. The idea of taking a day off, driving 2 hours round trip, over a brand new $300 combo kit is not very appealing to me. This is not the DeWalt experience I was expecting. 

If you think it is operator error, please feel free to suggest something. But, it is pretty idiot proof. Plug charger in, insert battery, watch the lights. 

That's quite unfortunate. It would be nice if they had a warranty setup like Milwaukee: prepaid shipping label, send it in and get back a week later. Not bad in my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, eddie1976 said:

Update: Dewalt sent me a new charger and all is well. Very happy with their service. 

Thanks for all your advice and help. 

I figured they would, especially since it seemed to be a batch issue. Glad they stepped up, enjoy! 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/1/2016 at 2:22 AM, tonylandin said:

Let me start out by saying welcome to the forum. I have a few 20v batteries and have not run across this try running the battery and place back on charger see what happens good luck.

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

Had this happen to me on both batteries wouldn't be the 2 amp ones would it