Size matters...

Kato

It's either too small or it's too big, you can't win for trying.

Damned perverts, get your minds out of the gutter!! I'm talking about Flexzilla Pro air hose. Wanted to join two 50' hoses but the ends of the hoses coupled together were too big (too long to wrap around right) for my hose reel. Went and picked up a couple of different fittings, figured I'd just cut the ends off and put the hoses together with either push-type connectors or a barbed fitting and hose clamps. Really wanted to use push-type, hose clamps suck balls because they stick out. Bought a 5/8" and 1/2" fitting, figured one of them would work.

Nope. The hose is too big for a 5/8" fitting, and too small for a 1/2" fitting. I could pull it out of the 1/2" fitting so that means air pressure would blow the hose out too. Tried the inserts that they include to make the hose more solid...made the hose too big to push into the fitting. DAMMIT!!! Put the caliper on the hose to see what the O.D. was and it fit perfectly into that meaty part of the curve between "too big" and "too small"...insert a couple of expletives. Had to use a barbed fitting and hose clamps. Did the old "wrap electrical tape around them" routine and there ya go.

At least I can look on the bright side and say I have 99' (gotta subtract the foot that I cut off) of brand new Flexzilla air hose. I can also look on the bright side that I've had air in the compressor for three days and it's stayed put, no leaks. Hopefully the barbed fitting will last...

• Like 2

Mother F**Ker!!!! Now I find out, after looking on their site to see what kind of fittings and shit they have...they have a frickin' hose splicer kit...that WE (O'Reilly) SELL!!!!

Mother Trucker and sunny beaches and dirty no good cotton-picking bastages!!!!! So, I'm gonna see if we have any and pick one up if we do. Looks like it's a decent size and won't be too big to wrap around on the hose reel.

• Like 3

If that didn't work it might be worth checking if it worked with the push on style barbed fittings that do not require hose clamps.

613iWDEVIDL._SX522_.jpg

These are the style a lot of stuff has been switching over to. No hose clamps required.

It honestly would be worth it to me to just have new ends crimped on and just thread them together if they make crimp fittings that would work with that style hose. 

• Like 2

I had the ends coupled together with a 1/4"npt female-to-female fitting, like it should have been, but the length of the hose and strain relief plus the coupler made it too long to bend around the hose reel. My choice was either push-type or barbed, and as I said the push-type wasn't the right size for the hose.

I'm going to see if we have the Flexzilla splicer at work, if we do I'll go with that. I've never used barbed fittings without clamps, never thought you could. I figure if you can yank the hose apart, air pressure will make it come apart too...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kato said:

I had the ends coupled together with a 1/4"npt female-to-female fitting, like it should have been, but the length of the hose and strain relief plus the coupler made it too long to bend around the hose reel. My choice was either push-type or barbed, and as I said the push-type wasn't the right size for the hose.

I'm going to see if we have the Flexzilla splicer at work, if we do I'll go with that. I've never used barbed fittings without clamps, never thought you could. I figure if you can yank the hose apart, air pressure will make it come apart too...

Yeah, only that particular style works without clamps. You can't tank them apart. It only works on some hose though.

• 2 weeks later...
It's either too small or it's too big, you can't win for trying.

Damned perverts, get your minds out of the gutter!! I'm talking about Flexzilla Pro air hose. Wanted to join two 50' hoses but the ends of the hoses coupled together were too big (too long to wrap around right) for my hose reel. Went and picked up a couple of different fittings, figured I'd just cut the ends off and put the hoses together with either push-type connectors or a barbed fitting and hose clamps. Really wanted to use push-type, hose clamps suck balls because they stick out. Bought a 5/8" and 1/2" fitting, figured one of them would work.

Nope. The hose is too big for a 5/8" fitting, and too small for a 1/2" fitting. I could pull it out of the 1/2" fitting so that means air pressure would blow the hose out too. Tried the inserts that they include to make the hose more solid...made the hose too big to push into the fitting. DAMMIT!!! Put the caliper on the hose to see what the O.D. was and it fit perfectly into that meaty part of the curve between "too big" and "too small"...insert a couple of expletives. Had to use a barbed fitting and hose clamps. Did the old "wrap electrical tape around them" routine and there ya go.

At least I can look on the bright side and say I have 99' (gotta subtract the foot that I cut off) of brand new Flexzilla air hose. I can also look on the bright side that I've had air in the compressor for three days and it's stayed put, no leaks. Hopefully the barbed fitting will last...

3eb89c1a01c25bc15de9ceb39e30ff9f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 10:41 PM, Stercorarius said:

Yeah, only that particular style works without clamps. You can't tank them apart. It only works on some hose though.

Yep, love the Goodyear hose that uses those barbed fittings that don't need clamps, just have to be compatible hoses. There are air hoses that use those fittings, but they are stiffer rubber than the flexzilla hose

The Felxzilla splicer actually worked out perfectly on the hose reel, no problems at all. I'm looking at new couplers now though, I'm still using the ones I had on the cheap Home Depot hose and I'd prefer better couplers now. Plus I want high-flow stuff to take advantage of the better hose. I might be looking at another 50' or 100' of hose too, so being able to slap them all together will be nice when necessary. I don't want to intermix different couplers, would rather have them be all the same type.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kato said:

The Felxzilla splicer actually worked out perfectly on the hose reel, no problems at all. I'm looking at new couplers now though, I'm still using the ones I had on the cheap Home Depot hose and I'd prefer better couplers now. Plus I want high-flow stuff to take advantage of the better hose. I might be looking at another 50' or 100' of hose too, so being able to slap them all together will be nice when necessary. I don't want to intermix different couplers, would rather have them be all the same type.

The Flexzilla couplers are nice. I picked up a few last year. I just need to get a new compressor now.

When in doubt buy in bulk. That's what I'm doing this year. https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-HFZ38250YW-Flexzilla-Plastic-Spool/dp/B007X6MGU6

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.08.34 PM.png

Edited by justinkendall
Added a link.

15 minutes ago, Kato said:

I'm waiting for the time to get a new compressor too, one that's quiet. I've had it up to my eyeballs with the Husky I have, too damned loud

I have a small 2 gallon Campbell Hausfeld that literally can't run anything besides the cheap nailer it came with. It has a whopping .80 CFM. I'm looking at the DeWalt DXCMLA1983012 30 gallon. It's only 6 CFM but that should work for most of my needs for the time being.