A LOOK INSIDE THE DEWALT DC927 HAMMERDRILL/DRIVER

kanxrus

I own a DC927.  It feels like a solid product, but I'm not happy with the balance.  To me, it feels heavier than it really is, but it appears to be well built.  I do like the self tightening Rohm chuck for the most part, except on the few occasions when it gets so tight that it becomes difficult to remove a bit.  But I never have a problem with bits slipping.  Removing most bits for most jobs is quick and easy and I'd much rather have this chuck from Rohm than the Jacobs 500 / 700 series that Dewalt was using.

Have you ever had difficulties shifting between the different speeds or has your DC927 always been a smooth shifter?

I believe any Dewalt 3 speed transmission that shifts left to right has a shifting issue. However I'm not even sure I want to call it an issue. There are times when you must baby the trigger slightly to engage the transmission in order to shift to the next gear. I believe this wears in better over time.

The DC927 weighs the same as the new DCD950. However the balance is greatly improved. The "issue" related to shifting is gone.

I agree with you about the transmission shifting better as it wears in over time.  When my 927's were new, they had more of a notchy feel to them.  I occasionally had to squeeze the trigger a bit and then try shifting again (as you said) and then it would usually be fine.  It was never much of an issue to me other than being annoying, but it's nice to hear this is no longer an issue with the newer transmission.

The clutch ring on both my DC927's feels a bit loose / sloppy (easy to turn) compared to my Hitachi and Milwaukee drill / drivers which have a more positive click type of engagement.  Does the clutch ring on the DCD950 have an improved feel with a more positive engagement (click) at each setting?

That's good to hear there's a very noticeable difference.  I just prefer a more positive engagement and chances are it will probably wear in over time just like you said and will then feel just right.  Dewalt appears to have put a lot of thought into their new DCD950/970 and I'm looking forward to trying one out and possibly replacing our Hitachi DCV18DL's, which are the main 18V drill / drivers we use.  But we've become hooked on the sub-compacts for much of our work and don't use some of our 18V tools nearly as much as we used to.  I don't have any real complaints with our Hitachi equipment other than wanting to try something new, which is why we also bought some M18 tools to try out.  But I'm a huge fan of the nano-phosphate battery technology and the DC827 impact driver has become the tool of choice when my guys reach for an impact driver.

• 1 month later...

The DC927 is newer, but was designed to be lighter, with better ergonomics. It was probably produced with the Lithium band wagon in mind. I've done test's between the two and the DC927 does perform as well as the DC925. I'm glad to see the DC970 take it's place.

I did a comparison between the DC925 and the DCD950. The comparison was done with the lithium batteries, so it's an identical test seeing how the only real difference between the DCD950 and the DCD970 is the battery.

• 4 years later...

The DC927 is newer, but was designed to be lighter, with better ergonomics. It was probably produced with the Lithium band wagon in mind. I've done test's between the two and the DC927 does perform as well as the DC925. I'm glad to see the DC970 take it's place.

I did a comparison between the DC925 and the DCD950. The comparison was done with the lithium batteries, so it's an identical test seeing how the only real difference between the DCD950 and the DCD970 is the battery.

I have had six 925's, probably the worst XRP dewalt ever made, plastic gearbox failures on all, this drill really hurt dewalt, lot of people went over to Millwauki and hilti, simply because of this bab bad drill.

I still have a soft spot for the DC988, best 18v drill made by dewailt....... personally.