Miter Saw 10" sliding vs. 12" non sliding

rrich1

Alright, I am looking into getting a new miter saw. My plan is to fit the saw into my existing workbench. I have an L shaped workbench right now. The saw would go on the right side end allowing for roughly 5 feet on the left side and then on the right I would use some type of stand that I would take down and put up when needed. My bench is 24" deep. The sliding saw I am looking at is the Masterforce Dual slide compact dual bevel miter saw http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/power-saws-accessories/masterforce-10-compact-slide-miter-saw/p-1444444181123-c-9082.htm?tid=568235228148570549 . 

The saw appears to be well built and with it having the slides on the side it makes it a lot more compact than other saw. I am looking at dual bevel saws with the saw being stationary I want to have the option to cut both ways if needed. 

Would you go with the masterforce or look for a 12" more name brand saw? With HD accepting the 20% HF coupon it makes for some good deals on a dewalt or ridgid. Bosch is way out of the price range unfortunately. 

I wouldn't skimp on my miter saw dude. I'm not saying go out and spend a bazillion dollars but....my miter saw is one of the most used tools in my shop. We all get fixated on impact and drills but the miter saw and table saw lead the pack in power tools. I'm with you, a dual bevel and slider is a feature I wanted but if go with a saw that is going to cost more and has a lot of reviews. Look at Dewalt, Bosch. Milwaukee (right up there in price), Hitachi. If you decide on this saw be sure to make sure that it is square, both in table and blade. The reason those saws cost more is the fact that they are well built machines with a lot of track service and normally come out of the box without need of adjustment. I don't mean to bash Masterforce but I don't see any reviews on the site and you gat an awful lot for a really cheap price. One would presume a corner or two has been cut!

Oh and one more thing! I just read your placement of the saw. I put my saw at the end of my shop it gives it about ten feet either way without intrusion. Most sticks I cut are small but truthfully when I'm sizing down lumber the boards are normally 8-12 feet and I need to cut a small piece off. Five feet either way might be a problem for you. You could pick up a mobile stand from Ryobi for a few bucks and be able to move the saw from its resting place on the bench so you could trim down siding, base board, chair rails etc.

Oh and one more thing! I just read your placement of the saw. I put my saw at the end of my shop it gives it about ten feet either way without intrusion. Most sticks I cut are small but truthfully when I'm sizing down lumber the boards are normally 8-12 feet and I need to cut a small piece off. Five feet either way might be a problem for you. You could pick up a mobile stand from Ryobi for a few bucks and be able to move the saw from its resting place on the bench so you could trim down siding, base board, chair rails etc.

Here is a pic of where I am thinking. It would go on the right end of this bench. Any long boards that would need a little trimming would extend in between the cars. This allows me to use both bevel features and the reason for the portable stand.

IMG_20160514_144140313_zpsy403uuhr.jpg

The one thing I hate about Menard's website is no reviews. Also there are very few compact sliding saws on the market. Makita, Hitachi, and Bosch are the only other i saw that have one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ridgid makes a great outfeed support I think it's called the flip top. I've had one for about 8 years and it's fantastic and only costs like $25. That'd be perfect for support between the cars. As far as compact, you are right. I'd dare say the axial glide and the hitachi would be in that compact line up. I would highly recommend BigSkyTools. I've bought an "A" reconditioned tool from there before. It's basically brand new looks brand new. Here is a link for a recon slider in "A" condition for not too much more money. Hope this helps Rich!

https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-c12rsh-12-sliding-dual-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-marker-reconditioned.html

The Hitachi has a really cool two stage sliding mechanism with no rear overhang. Fantastic saw and was one of my finalists but I ended up getting a Kapex on the recon sale so the Hitachi, the Bosch and the Dewalt got cut :(