Anyone know when the 6.0 is coming out?

AnonymousJoe

I've been using my dewalt tools more lately now that my Milwaukee drill is out for service. I could use some new batteries tho as all I have is the old 3.0, so anyone know when the 6 is supposed to come out?

Flexvolt batteries are 6.0 ah on a 20v tool been out for a little while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, it's going to be a bit bigger and heavier, not flexvolt big but a little, hopefully to avoid the problems Bosch had.

Also the 6ah batteries tend to have a significant premium over the other batteries because of the expensive cells they use.  It's almost 100% increase in price for up to a 20% increase in runtime.  That's not worth it in my book.  I'm happy to seem them push the 5ah prices down though.

• Like 1

First off, it's going to be a bit bigger and heavier, not flexvolt big but a little, hopefully to avoid the problems Bosch had.

Also the 6ah batteries tend to have a significant premium over the other batteries because of the expensive cells they use.  It's almost 100% increase in price for up to a 20% increase in runtime.  That's not worth it in my book.  I'm happy to seem them push the 5ah prices down though.

Also an argument I've heard of the internal resistance was higher than a 5.0 and really didn't improve runtime

Since u guys brought up flexvolt I have another question. I read somewhere about a tool having a noticeable power increase going from a compact battery to a higher capacity 10 cell battery.  Now would u see a noticeable power increase using a flexvolt battery because it has 15 cells vs a 4 or 5 ah battery with 10 cells? 

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Also an argument I've heard of the internal resistance was higher than a 5.0 and really didn't improve runtime

On 18650s that's true. The 20v Max, like Metabo Li-HD and Bosch eneracer will use 20700s to compensate. M18 6.0 is 18650. 

35 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea the 20700s are awesome, but doubt well see dewalt introduce that tech in their 20v battery

From the pictures it looks like they use them in the 20V 6.0

1 hour ago, AnonymousJoe said:

Since u guys brought up flexvolt I have another question. I read somewhere about a tool having a noticeable power increase going from a compact battery to a higher capacity 10 cell battery.  Now would u see a noticeable power increase using a flexvolt battery because it has 15 cells vs a 4 or 5 ah battery with 10 cells? 

That depends on if the tools is capable of using the extra power, and before you ask I have no idea which ones.  It will also take longer to overheat in heavy use for any tool.

1 hour ago, AnonymousJoe said:

The higher capacity batteries certainly are able to provide more current due to the extra cell. That should also hold for 15 cell compared to 10 cell batteries. HOWEVER, not all tools are manufactured to take advantage of the extra current. Drills usually aren't, impact drivers usually are (for instance).

40 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea the 20700s are awesome, but doubt well see dewalt introduce that tech in their 20v battery

I'm literally repeating information from Dewalt. The 6.0 is bigger than the 5.0 for a reason. 20700 are the future. Everyone will get there eventually, whether willingly or kicking and screaming 

• Like 1

Lots of info here thanks. With all that said I'm suprised Milwaukee would use the 18650 in their 6.0 , ithought their battery tech was supposed to be top of the line.

I started out with dewalt tools and a year ago I switched to Milwaukee. The one thing I've noticed is that when using my Milwaukee drill I can tell u the exact moment the battery is halfway run down because u notice the power/performance drop. 

Theres a lot more to batteries than I thought and I'm just starting to get into it and read about it so thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

They also use the 18650 style in the 9.0. 

which shouldn't be a problem because there are three rows of cells to provide current.

I am (as noted above) also concerned about their 6Ah batteries being a compromise. Having said that the M12 6ah batteries are awesome. 

Bosch 6.0 Ah batteries use regular 18650 cells, while their 6.3 Ah EneRacer battery switches to 20700 cells, like Metabo LiHD [max. 6.2 Ah] batteries, the newest cordless power tool batteries from Panasonic themselves and the upcoming 6 Ah XR and 9Ah FlexVolt batteries from DeWALT.

Pictures of Metabo LiHD, the new DeWalt XR 6-0 Ah + FlexVolt 9-0 Ah and Bosch EneRacer GBA 18V 6.3 Ah battery packs which all use 20700 cells instead of the usual 18650 cells.

Dimensions:

18650 cells: diameter 18 mm; length 65 mm.

20700 cells: diameter 20 mm; length 70 mm.

Picture sources:
Pic 1-6: https://www.bosch-professional.com/de/de/community/category/eneracer-die-neue-akkutechnologie/10603405-t
Pic 7-9: http://www.sg-toolbox.com/bosch-eneracer/

Pic 10-11: http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-2016-media-event-5-hot-tools/

Pic 12-13 http://www.coptool.com/cordless-power-tool-lihd-battery-cells-18650-vs-20700/

DSC_5115_1920.JPG

DSC_5145_1920.JPG

DSC_5150_1920.JPG

DSC_5154_1920.JPG

DSC_5161_1920.JPG

DSC_5162_1920.JPG

2016-06-01-14.46.56-2-1030x664.jpg

2016-06-01-14.46.44-2.jpg

2016-06-01-14.33.53-2.jpg

Dewalt-FlexVolt-9Ah-Battery-Pack.jpg

DeWALT FlexVolt 9.0 Ah battery with 20700 cells. FlexVolt 6.0 Ah only use 18650 cells according to Coptool.

Dewalt-20V-Max-6Ah-Battery-Pack.jpg

DeWALT XR 6.0 Ah battery with 20700 cells

lithiumcells.jpg

Tesla will switch from 18650 cells to 21700 cells for the upcoming Model 3, previously they said 20700, but they have changed it to 21700 or 2170 as they call it.

lihd-battery-inside.jpg

Metabo LiHD with Panasonic/Sanyo 20700 cells at the top

14 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

Bosch say the new battery makes your 18v tool as powerful as a corded 1500w motor tool

1500 W / 18 V = 83.3 A

EneRacer has 2 rows of cells in parallel, so that's 83.3 A / 2 = 41.7 A discharge rate per cell 1500 W.

However the datasheet for Panasonic NCR20700A hasn't listed any specifications above 30 A discharge rate: http://akkuplus.de/mediafiles/Datenblatt/Panasonic/Panasonic_NCR20700A.pdf