Build a pin router?

daltone_

Hi, was curious if I could get a suggestion or two - I've been wanting to construct a pin router for some time now. I've been weighing different approaches and I think I wanted to give it a shot with some aluminum extrusions & brackets as the frame/arm and what not to hold a 3HP Porter Cable router. I would probably want to be able to adjust the cutting height of the tool maybe with a component that would normally be used on a CNC but that I could just wire up to a simple switch to raise and lower the router (while obviously everything else would be done by moving the template & work by hand). Is it likely that this would be stable enough for routing operations?

Veritas makes an arm that you can attach to any router table that you might consider.  I rather doubt that you'd be able to construct a solid router mount out of aluminum extrusions, though you could probably use it to create the arm portion.