I can't adjust the bolt cutters jaws.

TGNP

Please help, my bolt cutters jaw does not close together. I try to adjust by releasing 2 nuts behind the adjustable screw and trying to turn the bolt clockwise but the jaws are nearly close together and I found it has a gap of around 1 mm. 

I try searching for how to adjust from the website as below,
https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/bolt-cutters/how-to-adjust-the-jaws-on-bolt-cutters

I try to release the bolt holding between the jaws and the handle and start to turn the adjustable screw clockwise again and the same result.

Does anyone have bolt cutters similar to mine please suggest?

Thank you.

30640.jpg

30641.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

That is an excellent link for setting up the tool.

Don't the jaw adjustment bolts (with cam), arrow on bolt face in image, increase / decrease gap?

According the linked instructions, there should be about 0.004" gap (thickness of paper). It looks like the gap is about twice that spec.

It also looks like the neck adjustment bolts should be tweaked slightly to improve the gap uniformity.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

That is an excellent link for setting up the tool.

Don't the jaw adjustment bolts (with cam), arrow on bolt face in image, increase / decrease gap?

According the linked instructions, there should be about 0.004" gap (thickness of paper). It looks like the gap is about twice that spec.

It also looks like the neck adjustment bolts should be tweaked slightly to improve the gap uniformity.

Thank you very much for your advice. 
So sorry for making a misundersstand. Actually, mine does not have the neck adjustment bolt just has jaw adjustment bolts. I attach a picture of the bolt cutters that I have.
How I can do it? 

30673.jpg

14 minutes ago, wingless said:

YW, the two "bolts" near the cutting edge are eccentric bolts, to move the cutting edge closer or farther.

Slowly rotate those bolts to attain the specified gap, snug on paper.

I'll try again on tomorrow because it's midnight in Thailand now.

If I can't do it I'll ask for your help again.

Thank you very much.

A gap comes close together a little bit but not to the target that I expect.
I think probably I finished my mission and use it normally.
Sometimes when I cut a bolt or nail and not be separated from each other and still have an incision that thin more than a gap between a jaw, not a problem I just use my hands to help twist a little. If can't use it by hand because it's tough then I change to using a plier.

Thank you for all your advice.

Thanks for the update.

Strange that the adjustment range is insufficient.

Note that the jaws shouldn't be adjusted for no gap (per your linked instructions).

Glad it worked enough to get the job done.

Note that his tool is great for a bolt, or other thick metal stuff. A large wire cutter is probably a better choice for a nail.