Other woods with unusual movement like seen in rainbow Poplar?

For those who follow my wacky ideas on here I'm developing an idea where I use small cut squares of wood, say 3/4" x 3/4" and arrange them to form a larger picture, like photo mosaic software does. Think of the little squares I'm referring to as little 'pixels' that will create the larger picture when they're all put together. The finished pieces/images will be fairly large, say 6' tall x 10' long.

So toward achieving this goal I've been exploring different wood species to see what kind of color/texture movements are commonly seen in them. For my idea to work I'm gonna need color movement in wood more than just common grain direction like you'd see in the oak species. I'm gonna need a wood species that produces a wide variety of movement and colors for the best results. At first I wasn't too sure this process was achievable because all the wood species I was aware of didn't have enough varied movement. I found a lumber mill a couple hours away that had some ambrosia Maple so I went to pick some up for experimenting. When I saw the cedar there I picked some out as well. But then I saw a chunk of highly colored rainbow Poplar he had sat aside and knew that was the right wood to work with. It has so much more color and movement than any other species I've seen so far. Pics of the cedar, ambrosia Maple and rainbow Poplar follow...

You can see how the rainbow Poplar has so much more variation compared to the ambrosia Maple and Cedar that it's really the superior choice for what I'm trying to do. Imagine this rainbow Poplar piece cut into tiny 3/4" x 3/4" squares and how varied each square or 'pixel' would be compared to the same pieces made out of the Cedar or Maple.

So now my question is...are there any other species out there that produce variations in color and movement like this rainbow Poplar? I'd also be interested in seeing examples of species that have random movement even if not to the same degree as this Poplar.

Thanks!

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG