Big pipe wrench

Stercorarius

I have two of those chain channel lock wrenches. I have put one on either side of an 8" flue stack to maneuver it around easier. It doesn't give a whole lot of available turning leverage, but its enough for positioning pipes better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

0d97d525-183e-4cc8-9161-f499e0291f17_300

This is what I've been using with a piece of herculine as a chain extension, but it is a pain to try and wrangle some nots to get the it cinched down right enough when the pipe has literal feces spilling out of it. I've also tried the rubber strap/filter wrenches and I've snapped one or two on male camlocks. 

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

• Like 1

All my googling just shows up as lots and lots of money. My question is why they can't just throw 8" jaws on a 36" or 48" wrench. I wish Waukee's new cheater wrench would just have big jaws. Me and a buddy came up with a tool ide when we were working on something. Basically it is a wrench that is completely modular. The head can thread onto any length handle. You can put any size jaw into the head and any length/aggresivity teeth in the jaws. So instead of paying for a whole new wrench for each size you just pay for the component. That and the head would just have like standard iron pipe thread so you could use anything as a handle or make your own custom one.

• Like 2

Harbor freight sells 48" pipe wrenches that can work with 6" pipe I believe. I saw them there and they don't look that bad?

Ridgid make a 60" steel pipe wrench, which will work on 6", not sure about 8"? There specs say it will fit 8". . I'm sure you can grab one off Craig's list or eBay? 

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Harbor freight sells 48" pipe wrenches that can work with 6" pipe I believe. I saw them there and they don't look that bad?

Ridgid make a 60" steel pipe wrench, which will work on 6", not sure about 8"? There specs say it will fit 8". . I'm sure you can grab one off Craig's list or eBay? 

Yeah I have the HF one, doesn't even do 5". I'll have to see if I can snag a Ridgid for cheap. I don't get paid enough for me to be willing to shell out for a full price Ridgid that would see occasional use.

20 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

0d97d525-183e-4cc8-9161-f499e0291f17_300

This is what I've been using with a piece of herculine as a chain extension, but it is a pain to try and wrangle some nots to get the it cinched down right enough when the pipe has literal feces spilling out of it. I've also tried the rubber strap/filter wrenches and I've snapped one or two on male camlocks. 

That looks just like my old craftsman

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah I have the HF one, doesn't even do 5". I'll have to see if I can snag a Ridgid for cheap. I don't get paid enough for me to be willing to shell out for a full price Ridgid that would see occasional use.

I agree on the price of a new Ridgid. I bet you can find a used one onEbay/Craig's list for a good price.

That sucks about the HF wrench. I saw a 4' older Ridgid in one of our shops today while I was ther and was tempted to fit it one a 6" standpipe to check the fit... 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 4:03 AM, MikeyB said:

Talked to my man at the tool store and sorta explained go him my dilemma and got some pricing. A strap wrench (Ridgid) would be $97 and might not fit pipe that size. The chain wrench was $240. He said guys who work in anything but sterile environments can't stand the strap wrenches because once you get anything other than water on the strap you pretty much have to get a new strap. He said what he had some guys who ran big pvc pipe had shown him was these cheap like filter wrenches with a high quality belt. They run about $30 and are made by a company called Round wrench, he showed me a sample they sent him and it was very nice. He said he was trying to get lined up to be a dealer for them but he wasn't sure yet. The bummer is that I can't seem to find any online. They are listed as unavailable on Amazon.

wp25549554_05.jpg

46 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

That Round Wrench is very cool. What kind of pipe will you be working on? Steel/Screw pipe or PVC? 

Almost entirely PVC to ABS or metal (exact metal varies) camlock fittings and PVC to steel King nipples. Occasionally there'll be Large banjo valves that I need to do. All the steel pipe I run is usually small or gets welded.

• Like 1