Roofing Nailers

DaveJr.

So in June, my dad and I will be tackling the roof up at our hunting cabin. It isn't huge but we will still  need to get a roofing nailer so I was wondering what experiences you have had with any roofing nailers. I would like to be around $200. I was looking at the this DeWalt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Coil-Roofing-Nailer-DWFP12658/205300886

Thanks in advance,

Dave

If you are only doing one roof save yourself some lunch money and grab this.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-porter-cable-rn175br-15-degree-1-3-4-in--coil-roofing-nailer/pcbrrn175br,default,pd.html?ref=pla-mobile&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=pcbrrn175br&gclid=CO-gur-9-swCFciFfgodhD8N1g

My dad ran these professionally up untill I got him a Hitachi for Christmas. Bostitches are nice but CS ain't worth a damn and parts are a PITA to get. If you are planning on doing it professionally as a career grab yourself a Senco or Hitachi.

If it is just one roof, you would be surprised how quickly it can be done by hand, especially if it is not that big. If you are going to use 3 tab shingles, use the high wind nailing pattern, 6 nails versus 4, I have helped a friend with a few roof repairs and every time the shingles cracked straight up between the tabs and and tore out through the nail a few inches above it.

• Like 1

Just a side note... three tab shingles are alright if that's all you can possibly afford, but going to warrantied architectural style shingles is always worth the extra money.

Not to mention faster and easier.

And don't put your nails high!(I'm gonna assume you already know this) That's the single biggest problem I see a lot of places I've worked on. There will be more leverage for the wind to work it up if they aren't sealed down yet, but even more so, you're getting closer to the top edge of the preceding shingle, and in some instances, not even hitting the shingle underneath! If you put your nail a little too low, at least the shingles aren't going to go anywhere....

I can't think of the last place I put 3tab on, they just need to go away

Also, I've only ever used senco roofing nailers, so I'm completely biased there. Sterco does have a point, buy reconditioned if it's just for something small

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Not to mention faster and easier.

And don't put your nails high!(I'm gonna assume you already know this) That's the single biggest problem I see a lot of places I've worked on. There will be more leverage for the wind to work it up if they aren't sealed down yet, but even more so, you're getting closer to the top edge of the preceding shingle, and in some instances, not even hitting the shingle underneath! If you put your nail a little too low, at least the shingles aren't going to go anywhere....

I can't think of the last place I put 3tab on, they just need to go away

We'll be using 3 tabs for the starter strip and the ridge cap. 

We'll be using 3 tabs for the starter strip and the ridge cap. 

Oh yeah I forgot, 3tab can still be useful for that....

Although I think it works much better if you use your field shingles as starter strips because the cut off can then be your finish course at the top, otherwise you're cutting shingles a second time. If you follow...

19 hours ago, DaveJr. said:

Bought this roofing nailer. I was going to go with the DeWalt but they don't sell it in stores. Decided to go with the porter cable. They had a Makita that was on display. Originally it was $299.99 on clearance for $75. If they had any left, I would have bought 2 of them! I'm pissed I missed out on that deal! 

IMG_3272.jpg

I believe he already bought one.