Milwaukee Self Feed Hybrid Augers

JimboS1ice

Nice thorough comparison.  I know what you mean about the speedbor bits.  That third flute is a big increase in load and I think they have a more aggressive lead screw to take advantage of it.  Looked like it left a much cleaner hole though not that anyone cares with an auger

Any (unintentional) experience on how these hold up to nails?

@AnonymousJoe The Milwaukee and Irwin bits are basically short spur augers.  There are also ship augers which are single flute, very long, and very expensive.  Here's a ship auger for comparison.

power-drill-long-ship-auger-bits-1605.jp

• Like 1

Nice thorough comparison.  I know what you mean about the speedbor bits.  That third flute is a big increase in load and I think they have a more aggressive lead screw to take advantage of it.  Looked like it left a much cleaner hole though not that anyone cares with an auger

Any (unintentional) experience on how these hold up to nails?

@AnonymousJoe The Milwaukee and Irwin bits are basically short spur augers.  There are also ship augers which are single flute, very long, and very expensive.  Here's a ship auger for comparison.

power-drill-long-ship-auger-bits-1605.jpg

Not yet, I have taken a speed bore through light gauge steel though, held up fine

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/7/2016 at 9:48 PM, AnonymousJoe said:

Good video, liked the new intro!  How do these compare to or what's the benefit to these over a regular auger bit? 

You can get by with less drill, especially the Bosch Daredevil spades. They certainly won't take the nail hits that a ship auger will, but at the cost they are pretty much disposable - at least for me. I'll use the Daredevils in some instances, but a quality 1" short ship auger in my M18 Hole Hawg is still by far my choice for roughing work.

M18 Super Hawg 6b.jpg

• Like 3

You can get by with less drill, especially the Bosch Daredevil spades. They certainly won't take the nail hits that a ship auger will, but at the cost they are pretty much disposable - at least for me. I'll use the Daredevils in some instances, but a quality 1" short ship auger in my M18 Hole Hawg is still by far my choice for roughing work.

M18 Super Hawg 6b.jpg

Awesome drills!

Although I am pretty much through with using self feed bits over 1" or so because I love the carbide tip hole saws so much more, I'm happy not ever using self feed bits for 1-1/2" and 2" pvc when doing rough in plumbing. Therefore, I don't see myself needing a super hawg drill, as I could use a hole hawg instead. I just know it's easier all around to use carbide tooth hole saws.

See this plug here below? There was a nail I straddled and didn't have to grind it up like a self feed bit would do.

IMG_20160705_110032521

Yeah I bought a set of three Irwin blue groove power auger bits ...

>

And haven't used them much except on new construction where everything is pretty viable, so I was able to avoid nails. I could also only find these three sizes, which don't help because I usually have to drill bigger sizes than these anyways...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Although I am pretty much through with using self feed bits over 1" or so because I love the carbide tip hole saws so much more, I'm happy not ever using self feed bits for 1-1/2" and 2" pvc when doing rough in plumbing. Therefore, I don't see myself needing a super hawg drill, as I could use a hole hawg instead. I just know it's easier all around to use carbide tooth hole saws.

That pic's a little old, from when the Super Hawg first came out. I only use the Big Hawg bits and similar for the larger holes myself nowadays. 'Course, I was never drilling holes near as large as you guys with any frequency, at all. Just convinced a local plumber to try the Big Hawgs, after some hesitation, and he's now hooked.

Speaking of large self-feeds, I recently scored a couple of brand new 3" Greenlee ones for $18 each online. Like you're saying, with the TCT's now I'll probably never use them, but just couldn't pass up the deal, knowing they would have been like $70+ at the supply. I always dreaded hitting a nail with them, with what they cost, and also getting them in a bind with a large corded right angle.

0924151536bb.jpg

23 minutes ago, sparky603 said:

That pic's a little old, from when the Super Hawg first came out. I only use the Big Hawg bits and similar for the larger holes myself nowadays. 'Course, I was never drilling holes near as large as you guys with any frequency, at all. Just convinced a local plumber to try the Big Hawgs, after some hesitation, and he's now hooked.

Good! I notice at our supply houses, they are offering Big Hawgs kits with the Hole Hawg and Super Hawgs, some promotion i didn't pay particular attention to. 

Anyway, sorry to be getting away from the original topic a bit. I haven't used those Milwaukee Speed Feed bits, but I do have the similar Irwin Speedbors. They give a much cleaner hole than the Bosch Daredevils, but as mentioned, they do tax the drill a good bit more. I don't need such a clean hole through framing members.

Some places that I do use the 1/4" hex self-feeders for is in tight spaces with my either my M12 or M18 right angle impacts. The Daredevils come in stubby lengths too, which the combination gets you into places nothing else will. I'll also use them sometimes in combo with up to 3 or even more 1/4"-hex extensions to help me out in difficult situations.

M12 Right-Angle Impact Kit 4b.jpg

• Like 1