Milwaukee 15 gauge fuel nailer jammed

Gaddis1987

I hate to ask the stupid questions but somebody has to...

Good battery, nails in the gun, etc.? My AirStrike won't fire if there only two or three nails in it, keeps it from firing blanks I guess. The plunger/ram/whatever you call it stays up until you load more nails. Is it possible the Milwaukee is the same?

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2018 at 10:47 AM, Gaddis1987 said:

My 15 gauge angle nailer is stuck. There is no nail that is jammed in there. The metal piece that  drives the nail will not go back in. Has this happened to anyone and is there anything I can do to fix it? I desperately need this gun tomorrow.

G''day, just read your post as mine has done the same thing, I just reloaded the nails a few times with some force and then bounced the nose of it a few times and it has fixed it (with it powered up) 

hope that helps

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the same problem. What worked for me was this:

- Empty the nailer

- Put in a fresh battery and turn it on

- Pull back the slide that keeps the nails in with one hand

- Depress the safety nose with the other hand, make sure to keep your fingers clear

- Dry fire the nail gun

The piston should shoot out and then back in and the gun should be back to normal

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Cornhub,

How did that hammer work out. I'm just about ready to do the same thing. Pin all the way out and after following all the "recommendations" absolutely nothing the striker/pin stays all the way out.

I'm all Milwaukee cordless so I guess I'm forced into replacing it.

tools really don't last as long as they used to but I guess an old finishing hammer was just a hammer. No parts to fail.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

If you didn’t resolve this problem, I may have your solution. My 2746-20 18g Milwaukee nailer jammed and after clearing the jam, the “hammer/driver” would not retract. I found an online manual at Milwaukee’s website. It described how to “dry fire” the nailer.
1. Remove battery. (Already did that.)

2. Remove all nails. (Already did that.)

3. Re-install battery.

4. Turn on.

5. Open magazine, but don’t install any nails.

6. Press nailer against scrap wood and dry fire. 

On completing the instructions my nailer would not fire. Then I realized the “nose” was not retracting in step 6. I had to push down hard to make that happen. Then the nailer dry-fired and the hammer/driver reset.

So make sure the doo-dad that is on the end of the nailer is fully depressed when you try to dry-fire. It was much harder to make it do that than when the nailer was functioning properly.

good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...

You guys really aren’t reading what they are saying. It’s not jammed. The piston that should be inside the gun is sticking all the way out. It’s not going back to its reset position inside the gun. It’s all the way out like it hit the nail and stopped. How is that fixed?

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:18 PM, Heilo said:

You guys really aren’t reading what they are saying. It’s not jammed. The piston that should be inside the gun is sticking all the way out. It’s not going back to its reset position inside the gun. It’s all the way out like it hit the nail and stopped. How is that fixed?

I tried those suggested steps and it does not help. I am about to open the nail gun case to figure out what holds that pin/piston. Delay with the work today and should be continued tomorrow morning. Any more advice, please? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. If it's under warranty take it back to have fixed under warranty. What did is if your warranty has expired. 

I bought mine secondhand, so no warranty. The same thing happened to my gun, it jammed all the way out so I reset it over and over till the hammer retracted. But it kept on firing a few nails then not firing at all and eventually  resetting it but leaving the the hammer poking it's tounge out at at me every time. 

Like most of y'all I'm invested in milwaukee m 18 platform and for the most part havnt got a bad thing to say about their tools.

I sent my 15 ga nailer to the authorised repairer to see if they could fix the issue

30 dollars later they tell me it's the circuit board and gearbox.

I strip the gun then

I strip the gearbox. 

It's all good in the gearbox.

I depressed the valve on the Nitrogen cylinder with the hammer all the way forward. A tiny bit of pressure is released 

It was easy to wind back the hammer  into the cylinder. When It became hard to wind back i depresses the valve until all the gas  came out. 

With the gas discharged and hammer all the way back i was able to get the gun to wind back after each time I depressed the trigger Although due to no gas in the cylinder the hammer won't strike out

I am wanting to know if anyone knows what the gas is and what pressure it's meant to be charged at from the factory

The helpdesk at milwaukee didn't seem to want to tell me the technical info of what type of gas or what pressure 

Is there someone who is able to charge the  cylinder up

• 4 months later...

I know I'm way late to the party.. But has OP figured this out? 

Is there a particular noise involved?

Remove the front-most cover. Remove the cam from the motor, Re-clock the cam to a different position, try again. 

There's a chance that the ram didn't sync with the rollers under the cam, and instead bound against it. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:53 PM, oddjobbob said:

If you didn’t resolve this problem, I may have your solution. My 2746-20 18g Milwaukee nailer jammed and after clearing the jam, the “hammer/driver” would not retract. I found an online manual at Milwaukee’s website. It described how to “dry fire” the nailer.
1. Remove battery. (Already did that.)

2. Remove all nails. (Already did that.)

3. Re-install battery.

4. Turn on.

5. Open magazine, but don’t install any nails.

6. Press nailer against scrap wood and dry fire. 

On completing the instructions my nailer would not fire. Then I realized the “nose” was not retracting in step 6. I had to push down hard to make that happen. Then the nailer dry-fired and the hammer/driver reset.

So make sure the doo-dad that is on the end of the nailer is fully depressed when you try to dry-fire. It was much harder to make it do that than when the nailer was functioning properly.

good luck! 

This trick worked for me. My gun was jammed and the firing pin wouldn’t retract, even when I tried to dry fire. It wouldn’t dry fire at all. I banged the nose of the gun hard against a concrete slab until I felt the nose move, then it actually dry fired after I pulled the trigger. The jammed nail was under the firing pin and I was able to remove that with a screwdriver.

7 minutes ago, Jeff. said:

This trick worked for me. My gun was jammed and the firing pin wouldn’t retract, even when I tried to dry fire. It wouldn’t dry fire at all. I banged the nose of the gun hard against a concrete slab until I felt the nose move, then it actually dry fired and the firing pin recessed. The jammed nail that was under the firing pin I was able to remove with a screwdriver.

The thing I learned is to not try to use the gun with only 3-4 nails. That seems to be what caused the problem 

• 3 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 6:18 PM, Heilo said:

THIS IS THE FIX I PROMISE . I know what you are saying the rod that hits the nail is stuck in the forward position . Listen closely bruduah ...... step 4 will be the most crucial  I promise everyone who says it didn’t work did not do step 4 correctly .... it’s got to be done hard 

#1 remove the battery.

#2 open the clip so that it is all the way extended, as if your going to reload a brad . BUT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO KEEP IT EMPTY AND THE CLIP ALL THE WAY EXTENDED . 

# 3 with the clip extended and empty put a battery back in and power it on for a single shot , not rappid fire ......and unlatch the top of the tool so it is loose . As if your going to remove a jammed brad . Leave it unlatched and layed back so you can see the rod that is jammed 

#4 press the red nose tip of the gun against something like you are going to shoot

a nail HERE IS THE CRUCIAL STEP : YOU HAVE TO PUSH DOWN HARD . Don’t press like you are installing molding . Act like you have a pair and give it a little more pressure then pull the trigger and enjoy the rush that comes over your body knowing your not screwed and you just fixed your brad nailer ... When you hear that beautiful pop and hear the rod engage again. 

9 hours ago, Christy said:

Did you ever find a fix for this?

You have to push down hard leave it on single shot . Not rappid fire . 

open the clip leave it open and empty . Pop the battery in . Un latch the top

and keep it unlatched so you can see the rod that won’t re engage. Then VERY IMPORTANT , push the nose piece hard and pull the trigger . After you jump back from the noise shocking you that it worked you can load it again and get back to work 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/21/2021 at 6:18 PM, Heilo said:

What helped me is to make sure the depth control is all the way out so it has further to press down. Then take nails out pull back the slide and dry fire it with the front latch closed. It worked for me.