What to Look for in a Table Saw

cliu

I am looking to buy my first table saw. I have limited experience with them so I am just wondering what I should be looking for. Someone is offering me a used in good condition Bosch 4100-09 for $300 and it seems like a good deal (a new one retails for nearly $600) but since I don't know much about table saws I am just going off of that and the good name of Bosch to assume that this is a good deal.

A good fence is the most important aspect of a saw to me, and that eliminates the Bosch imo. We had a 4100 at work and no one liked it, it has to be squared up on both front and back of the blade. Dewalt’s rack and pinion fence is rock solid by comparison and you can get them pretty cheap. I could get 2 decent Dewalt saws for the price of that Bosch in my neck of the woods. $300 usd is overpaying for that saw. Maybe we are just abusive to tools

(I don’t think so in comparison to any other place I’ve worked) but we even managed to kill the blade height adjustment mechanism. 

If youre looking into your first saw you want a rock solid fence so you don’t encourage pinching stock between the blade and fence, and you want an instruction manual. Table saws are one of the most dangerous tools in the shop. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bremon said:

A good fence is the most important aspect of a saw to me, and that eliminates the Bosch imo. We had a 4100 at work and no one liked it, it has to be squared up on both front and back of the blade. Dewalt’s rack and pinion fence is rock solid by comparison and you can get them pretty cheap. I could get 2 decent Dewalt saws for the price of that Bosch in my neck of the woods. $300 usd is overpaying for that saw. Maybe we are just abusive to tools

(I don’t think so in comparison to any other place I’ve worked) but we even managed to kill the blade height adjustment mechanism. 

If youre looking into your first saw you want a rock solid fence so you don’t encourage pinching stock between the blade and fence, and you want an instruction manual. Table saws are one of the most dangerous tools in the shop. 

The problem I have with the Dewalt is the fact that it (at least the 7480) does not allow for the use of dado blades.

Most portable/contractor type saws don’t have the ass or the table surface area to efficiently run a 3/4” dado stack IMO. You’ll probably find people to argue to the contrary, but that’s my honest opinion. 

If you don’t have the space, need, or budget for a bigger saw, invest in a Dewalt or Bosch portable and get a good strong router to run your dados. 

• Like 3