Metabo radio

Der

Hi all I have a metabo 14.4-18v radio works 100% when plugged in but when I try to run off the battery it won’t turn on empty battery icon appears and E flashes on screen any ideas what’s wrong not much point having a site radio I need power for 

1 hour ago, Der said:

Hi all I have a metabo 14.4-18v radio works 100% when plugged in but when I try to run off the battery it won’t turn on empty battery icon appears and E flashes on screen any ideas what’s wrong not much point having a site radio I need power for 

Have you tried other batteries? Do you know the battery is ok? Have you cleaned the contacts?

If all those are answered with a "Yes" you could have something wrong internal, you may want to try a warranty claim, even if it's a little out of the warranty. If that's a no-go, then open her up. It could be a simple pinched wire or a voltage regulation problem. Transistors on new electronics fail all the time, luckily they're pretty common parts that can be bought.

Keep in mind that when a transistor blows up there aren't any burn marks, just a crack or a chip taken out of the housing. It could also be a resistor or diode that opened up or shorted, which leaves no trace. Same with caps, sometimes they go bad but leave no trace, they don't always bulge when they fail.

In most cases the insertion of the battery pushes some mechanical switch that shifts the power source from the 120 volt power supply, that converts the 120AC to something approximating the DC battery voltage, over to the battery. It looks like there is a bad internal connection or dirty switch contact. The radio "knows" it has been switched to battery but is not seeing any battery voltage because one of the connections,+ or - , is not making it to the radio. There are other ways it could be done so this is just a WA guess. If you are not up to going into the radio it is unlikely anybody has a solution that will help you. Is there something that gets depressed in that battery socket when a battery is put in? If that is the way they did it, some contact cleaner to the switch or maybe bending a switch contact would do the trick. But to be effective you would still have to go inside. It could be a bad solder connection to the switch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

In most cases the insertion of the battery pushes some mechanical switch that shifts the power source from the 120 volt power supply, that converts the 120AC to something approximating the DC battery voltage, over to the battery. It looks like there is a bad internal connection or dirty switch contact. The radio "knows" it has been switched to battery but is not seeing any battery voltage because one of the connections,+ or - , is not making it to the radio. There are other ways it could be done so this is just a WA guess. If you are not up to going into the radio it is unlikely anybody has a solution that will help you. Is there something that gets depressed in that battery socket when a battery is put in? If that is the way they did it, some contact cleaner to the switch or maybe bending a switch contact would do the trick. But to be effective you would still have to go inside. It could be a bad solder connection to the switch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A lot of times that switch is on the jack if there is an external power supply, they make switches that are integrated into the jack...often that means a center negative plug...but it can be done several ways and without having it in front of me (or you, since you seem to also know this) there is no way to tell. FWIW, I've never seen the switches on the PSU jack fail without the jack itself failing.

They can also do the switching with a transistor or a relay.