Makita battery charger

Sabre

Howdy all.

Ive just purchased new Makita 18volt rapid charger.

Model DC18RC.

My query is should the cooling fan continue running after battery reaches full charge.

Mine does until battery is removed from charger. 

I suspect its a fault and a thermo switch should kick in.

Any thoughts??

The sales rep said its normal to keep running but I am not happy with that response. 

Appreciate any feed back.

Yeah that’s normal. It doesn’t strike me as a bad idea either, as 1) the battery may be warm after charging, so cooling the battery prior to use really isn’t a bad idea, and 2) the battery may continue to be topped-off slowly after the charger indicates it’s done. I have no verification of this, but I’ve seen it claimed that Makita’s chargers may actually leave the battery with as much as 15% additional uncharged capacity. I can speculate a number of reasons as to why they may choose to do this if it were true, but it would be just that...speculation.

• Like 1

All of them do that. Also as Toolbane said, if you just leave the battery on the charger until the fan stops, it will trickle charge the last few %. When the charger says battery is charged, its actually somewhere between 85% to 95% charged.