What A Handy Little Tool The Ryobi Cordless Miter Saw!

DR99

Man I have been building a bunch of planters and been using this thing to cut all of the boards. I knew it would be an handy tool to have but I have been using the crap out of it. It's so much easier to cut material down with a miter saw unless you need to some serious cross cutting then it makes sense to break out the Fuel Circular saw. With some of the new Ryobi 4.0 Ah batteries this thing handles a 2x4 like butter. For a little cordless saw from Ryobi I'm impressed. I would like to see other companies offer a cordless chop saw Makita is the only other company that offers one and its expensive as heck!

• Like 1

I agree. Its pretty dang handy and Ive been using it more and more lately.  I recently cut a bunch of abs pipe with it. Its great for working in tighter areas where you dont want to have to bring in the full sized miter. I also recently cut a bunch of 2x4's to frame a couple of walls in a bathroom and it handled them well as long as you let the blade do the work. Im gonna have to make the upgrade to the diablo blade soon.

I have the older 8 1/4" miter saw and I cut more stuff than I should with it, sometimes stuff that's probably way too big for it. Works like a champ, and as long as I don't let my blades get too dull it never has any problems cutting what I throw under it. I have a Diablo in it now and with that blade it runs through stuff very nicely. Every once in a while, maybe every couple of years, I have to take it apart and smooth the slide areas and grease them, but other than that it's been a true champ.

I have the older 8 1/4" miter saw and I cut more stuff than I should with it, sometimes stuff that's probably way too big for it. Works like a champ, and as long as I don't let my blades get too dull it never has any problems cutting what I throw under it. I have a Diablo in it now and with that blade it runs through stuff very nicely. Every once in a while, maybe every couple of years, I have to take it apart and smooth the slide areas and grease them, but other than that it's been a true champ.

Where did you find blades for it? 8 1/4" isn't a standard size.

Usually I can get the Diablos at Home Depot, but sometimes it's a real pain in the neck getting blades for it, any brand. It's not really too oddball of a size but it's oddball enough that you don't see it stocked all the time. They still make 8 1/4" trim saws but stores don't usually keep that size blade in stock. If I had to go buy one now there's only two to choose from at my local HD, a 60-tooth and a 40-tooth. I try to get Diablo as much as I can but once in a while I'm stuck getting whatever brand I can find wherever I can find them, or I have to order online.

Did you get this set up to start your Ryobi Power tool setup? http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/cupp/03/ I though I saw in in the background of one of your photos. The Curiosity is killing me if an 8 1/4 inch blade would fit in my saw. I wonder what else they changed when they went from the blue to the green version of the saw. I little more cut capacity is always  appreciated. I wonder if Milwaukee would ever think of making one. They only sell a 12" miter saw in the USA they sell some other models in places outside of here I don't think I will ever be able to be with out some Ryobi tools just because no one else offers a comparable tool, or the price is so much cheaper than other companies versions. Imagine if Ryobi came out with a  pretty good cordless framing nailer that would be a huge seller, and would make everyone else drop prices.

Yup, that's the set I have. That was the first set of Ryobi tools I bought, back around 12 years ago. It cost $400 and with everything that came with it there was no way I could pass it up. I always figured with my experience, if the tools sucked I could just rebuild them stronger. So far I haven't had to take any apart to fix or rebuild, except for having to clean the slide areas on the miter and square it every year or two. They don't look brand new though, they're in great shape but they lost that "brand new shine" a long time ago. I don't destroy my tools but I don't baby them either. I bought them to use and I put them all through a lot of work that they probably shouldn't be put through. In all honesty...I'm kinda surprised that they still run as good as they do. I'm a super-huge Ryobi fan but even I'll admit that they probably shouldn't still be alive, especially considering how old they are and what I've put them through over the years.

What's the cut depth on the 7 1/4" saw? It's probably not too deep but it's gotta still be pretty useful for most stuff. I want to eventually get a corded one only because I'd like a bigger cut, and I'd love a slider. It would open up a lot more advantage to me if I had a sliding miter, and there's always a use for a bigger cut. Having to diddle around flipping bigger boards is a pain in the neck, and it forces me to keep the saw as accurate as I can or cuts don't match. It'd be cool to see a larger miter in the One+ lineup but I'm pretty sure there's no way you could power a 10" or 12" miter saw for very long or very effectively with the 18v batteries. Plus if I had a larger saw I probably wouldn't take it anywhere that I couldn't find an outlet, so being cordless wouldn't matter. I don't have to worry much about portability anymore, the new job is providing tools, mine are staying home.

Speaking of work, it kinda sucks right now because we're in the beginning stages of everything, the building is still under construction and everything is so new that we barely have any decent tools to work with. The maintenance supervisor went out and bought a couple of Dewalt 18v kits (which are NiCad...big-time ugg on that. Can't stand NiCads anymore), but we don't even have our maintenance shack yet. No benchtop tools like a grinder, vise, drill press, etc., makes it hard to do some work. We're muddling through though, haven't run into very many obstacles yet. One part of me wishes I could bring my garage to work so I could use my tools, the other part of me says "My tools are staying home". I have my garage the way I want it, there's no way I'm gonna tear it all apart. The job can provide the tools, I'm perfectly okay with that.

One thing I will say is this: If/when Ryobi starts making brushless they're gonna make a killing, and if they were smart they'd offer the "six-pack" kit again, keeping the 8 1/4" miter size and making everything in the kit brushless. That would be an insane kit to have. I'll also say this: If any other company made a kit like that, Dewalt, Milwaukee, anybody, and the price wasn't outrageous, those companies would make a killing too. Imagine how nice it'd be to have everything you needed for the day in one rolling box with a flip-up miter...you'd be in hog-heaven

I would love to see a framing nailer. Their brad nailer and crown stapler are fantastic. I am really looking forward to the 16gauge finish nailer that is coming out.

If they can make an AirStrike framer that's "good"...meaning it'll stand up to serious pro use like banging around, dropping, sliding across floors, etc., then they're going to send themselves up the list for pros from "DIY" tools to "Wow, we really need to take a look at Ryobi". I'm surprised how they're moving with their new tools, the AirStrike alone are making them seem like they want to push the "better" brands around a bit so see what kind of muscle they can show off. A couple of reviews I've seen, like the AirStrike against a Paslode...makes me very curious about how far Ryobi can and will go to get out of the DIY stereotype and into a more "professional" arena. My thing with Ryobi has always been about build, not so much about usability. I've always been concerned that maybe their plastic isn't as good as other brands, maybe their build quality isn't up to par, but time and experience have shown me that they'll take a lot of abuse without showing much signs of use.

I don't have much need for a framer but I'd definitely buy one if they had one. I'm not much of a nail guy, I like screws because I always like the option to take stuff apart easily. But, a true framing nailer is something I want to have just in case. I still need to get the stapler, the old "blue" nailer/stapler I have is a really pain in the neck sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...