Has SBD killed the B&D Matrix and Craftsman Bolton systems?

DR99

I have noticed in stores and online they are clearancing them out really cheap right now. The motors themselves and the accessories are all marked down. Could they just be making room for new Christmas inventory or was the idea a flop? I'm leaning towards it being a flop you heard a bunch about it when it was released then all the hype dissipated. I think only a few of the attachments did a decent job the other ones were just too much of a compromise to be any good.

The B&D Matrix has a pretty solid following so maybe they are updating it? I will say, and don't laugh, I bought the B&D Autosense. I watched Eric and Dan's review then... Javier's plus the original email from Stuart. It is actually pretty cool. I am preparing to do a review on it as I am really impressed. This is not replacing my Festool but...

This was my first set of cordless tools my family bough be back in mid to late 90's. They barely did what I asked of it, but it was better than a corded screwdriver or using an old fashioned screwdriver. I will say now it looks like a kids first tool set than something a grown man should use. This was back in the dark ages of cordless tools. This was one of the few tools that was affordable for most people. I still can't belive the cordless drill didn't have a keyless man that was a major pain in the ass. I think it happens to everyone you see a chuck key and for some reason you look in another direction and the damm think must have grew leggs and walked. Back to the story about the B&D Versapack it was a pretty rough setup. The picture is of the set I used to have that my set has been gone for 10 or more years now.

I gave away my last B&D tool a couple of years ago. My friend borrows everything from me and I don't always get it back. He was doing a small remodel after I went to his house while he was on vacation and reinforced his steps and replaced some of the decking.mwhen he got back he must've got all worked up and kept calling me to borrow tools. I gave him my B&D jigsaw that my dad gave me years ago for a birthday present so he'd stop asking me for tools. That and a Ryobi impact gun.

I actually had the craftsman bolt on series for a little bit, not everything but the recip saw, impact, drill, hammer drill, and air inflator...i thought it was good for the here and there work around the house but I decided that I needed to make a switch to a bigger brand like a dewalt or milwaukee and ended up choosing the fuel lineup and the craftsman wasn't bad but for comparison purposes the impact driver on the craftsman was actually pretty good but pretty good and the fuel impact driver are two totally different things.  My new fuel impact driver can drive lags that I never though a 1/4" hex impact driver would be able to drive.  With that said i think the problem for the bolt on or the matrix is at the moment the cordless power tools are getting stronger and stronger and simply offering a modular system that incorporated outdated technology just didn't cut it.  Everything is going brushless and with the modular system being good when compared to 5 years ago it just doesn't do the trick anymore. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...