40v Thoughts

Charles Harris

Weeeeel, that might be true, but if you look at real numbers and not intuition, blowers usually need more power.

Thats becouse large demolition hammers/breakers only need to deliver single hard blows, and will take its time charging the mechanism. Still, 15 amp is still a strech with todays batteries. (Unless you use two bulky 6ah 36V batteries)

An blower need to turn a fan/turbine at very high speed to push large amounts of air at 200 Mph. The air resistance at thoose speed is not to be taken lightly. ;)

What about a hybrid tool? I would love to have a 40v 12" dual bevel sliding compund miter saw that could also be corded. That way you have the option of using battery power, if you are in an area where electricity is unavailible but also have the option of using mains power.

That would be interesting. Maybe a dummy battery that's really just a transformer with a cable out the back?

The backpack blower was interesting mostly because it showed Dewalt's willingness to put two 40V batteries in a single tool. And increase the capacity of each pack. 7.5ah is almost double the original, standard 4ah batteries.... So I'm considering a mower to be a real possibility in the future.

Still got my fingers crossed for a cordless table saw though!

A dummy power-supply battery exist, but I doubt you get a lot of power out of it. A Power supply at that size usually is at a couple hundred watts.

You would probably use SMPS (switching mode power supply) tech, becouse 50-60HZ would demand very large trsnsformer.

A pure transformer battery with 700-800W output would weigh around 6,5kg and be 3 times the size of a normal battery. :P

Actually, the simplest thing i just using an stationary power supply at around 20V, and connect it to the tool with an battery-adapter (or make your own adapter). A DIY'er would do it in no time. :)

I live in an average suburbian house. Small lawn in front, small lawn in back. House is about 1500 Sq ft. I can string trim and blow off my front and backyard both with only one 4ah battery. Last weekend I blew out my gutters, trimmed the front and back, blew the super mess from the gutters front and back- all on 2 batteries (both mostly drained, but they didn't yet shut down yet)

I love these tools! I want the hedge trimmer and chainsaw!

• 2 weeks later...

That would be interesting. Maybe a dummy battery that's really just a transformer with a cable out the back?

The backpack blower was interesting mostly because it showed Dewalt's willingness to put two 40V batteries in a single tool. And increase the capacity of each pack. 7.5ah is almost double the original, standard 4ah batteries.... So I'm considering a mower to be a real possibility in the future.

Still got my fingers crossed for a cordless table saw though!

What Ryobi does with their hybrid tools is to have two ports. One where the battery goes and another one with a plug head for you to stick the female end of an extension cord into. The two ports or located closly enough that with the battery inserted, the other port is convered and inaccessable so you can't have the battery and cord plugged in at the same time (not sure why you would want to anyway).