DW717 10 " SCMS Question

pd417

My first post here, sorry if it's in the wrong section.  Maybe should have gone in the FAQ section?

I have started installing 4" baseboard on our first floor. I ran into a problem that I can't seen to figure out. I'm cutting the moulding laying flat on my saw (DeWalt DW717) and setting the angle on the saw (e.g. 45 degrees) and the table at zero degrees. I made my first cuts and saw that it was not a straight cut but rather off by about 10 degrees vertical. I adjusted the table 10 degrees so the cut would be straight.  I would prefer to cut with the moulding vertically against the back fence, but for it to fit, I'd have to make all the cuts on the left side of the blade since that side will take up to 6" (right side=3.5").

This is my first moulding project, so I may be a little naïve, but having to adjust the table +/- 10 degrees doesn't seem quite right, zero degrees should give me a nice straight cut, but it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?