Photography tips, tricks, etc..

Kato

Edit of the Casio photo. Typical issues that come from point-n-shoot cameras, artifacts, noise, etc.. But, a pleasing photo from a not-so-pleasing one, due to better light...

Ryobi%20Ani%20001.gif

• Like 1

Thanks. I swiped some of the cutoffs from our new floors, makes a great surface to work on, and pretty too.

The spoon trick I learned a long time ago, when I read it on a photo forum I tried it out, liked the idea so much that I started carrying a spoon in my camera bag. Comes in handy, and works great with the pop-up flash on a DSLR.

Another set of examples, with and without spoon, adding a background, and another trick...

So, I'm wanting to show off my new tools, or I'm wanting to sell something. I wonder to myself, "Self, where did you put your camera?". I find my camera, a cheap piece of junk, and I start to wonder about how to take good pictures. I say "Hey, you've got some vinyl-backed foam in the garage, I'll bet that will make a great background. It's even-colored, and neutral.". So, I go out into the garage, dig out a piece of foam, and use two clamps and two batteries to hold it down. I put my new impact on it and think "Nah, laying down is boring, and standing up makes everything in the background show up. What can I do?". So I think to myself what I can do to prop the impact up at an angle. "Hey, I know, I'll use a screwdriver!!".

CIMG0505.jpg

So now I've got it setup, all I need to do now is shoot. I grab a stool and stand on it to give me a nice "artsy-fartsy" angle, and I snap away. I grab my trusty spoon, and there ya go.

CIMG0504.jpg

All there is to do now is edit. With the neutral background editing is easy, and I can clone out anything I don't want in the shot.

CIMG0503%20a.jpg

• Like 2

I sure can, give me a few minutes to get something for you. I will show two techniques, one cloning and one using the blemish remover. Both can accomplish the same thing, the blemish remover is good for random spots, while cloning is good for larger areas and for blending

Clone tool: Right-click your source, then left click and run the brush over what you want to get rid of. Blemish removal tool: select your size and simply click the spot you want removed. The Blemish tool samples the area around the spot, and duplicate it to remove the spot.

• Like 1

Another bare minimum setup, this time it's a pizza box top and aluminum foil. I fold a piece of foil and make it stiff, then tape it under the flash on the camera. I go out to the recycle bin and grab a pizza box, and cut the top off. I fold it, then stick it in front of my desk on the floor. I put my subject on it, then I shoot. Standard processing again, for exposure and clarity. Of course the typical issues are still there, artifacts, noise, etc., but this would be good for eBay auctions, forum posts, etc..

Original photo...

CIMG0532.jpg

Results...

Razor%20Ani%20001.gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kato said:

Thanks. I swiped some of the cutoffs from our new floors, makes a great surface to work on, and pretty too.

The spoon trick I learned a long time ago, when I read it on a photo forum I tried it out, liked the idea so much that I started carrying a spoon in my camera bag. Comes in handy, and works great with the pop-up flash on a DSLR.

44 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Kato, that is badass man! I really like the way you got so much out of a point and shoot camera. Where did you learn the spoon technique?

The spoon technique I learned a long time ago, and I forget exactly where. I'm pretty sure it was on a photo forum. I thought it was such a cool idea that I started carrying a tablespoon in my camera bag. I got a lot of ribbing when I'd use it, until people saw the results. I know of at least two of my photo friends who use the trick now after seeing me do it.

• Like 1